Honored Contributor

Re: PRINTED LININGS ON COATS & JACKETS?

It depends on the coat or jacket.  If it's lined, I want a silky lining that will glide. I do have some unlined very casual fleece jackets and I really don't have a problem.

I don't mind a printed lining at all unless it can be seen.  For instance if the sleeves are folded back to expose the print.  That's a deal breaker for me because then there would be certain clothing items I couldn't wear it with.

I do not mind a printed lining in a handbag at all. My Kate Spade I'm using has a black/ivory stripe lining.  I have never bought a handbag with a really busy print but I wouldn't care.  But then I'm also one of the strange people who just loves to dump everything in my purse.  I detest organizational handbags.  LOL      

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Printed linings have always been a pet peeve of mine.   I think the linings of coats & jackets should be the exact same color as the garment, and NOT cotton, which "drags" if you have sleeves on your top.  It should have a polyester or satiny lining so getting in and out is a breeze.  JMO, of course.  

BTW, I won't buy a handbag that has a printed lining either .... it just looks too "messy" and items can be hard to spot quickly.   Again, JMO.

The only exception in my closet is a Dennis Basso faux fur coat with a print lining ..... if I hadn't loved the coat so much, I would have returned it because of the busy print.

I was recently out to dinner in a nice restaurant and saw a woman being seated at a nearby table.  She was removing her blazer and it had a very busy printed lining .... and she was wearing a leopard print top!    It was a visual mess!  

Maybe I'm too fussy with this, but I wonder if anyone else feels the same .....  do you prefer solid or print linings .... or maybe I should ask if print linings bother you enough to affect your purchase decision.  

Ladies? 

@Tinkrbl44. The main reason colored linings in coats & jackets are a deal breaker for me is practicality. Many times I need to turn to turn the sleeves or cuffs back and the print lining glaringly mismatches the rest of my outfit.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus

Ditto for me .... rolling up the cuffs and seeing a print showing can ruin the whole look, IMO.

Honored Contributor

I don't mind a printed lining unless the print and colors are not my style. Usually the prints are small and subtle so it's not an issue for me. I prefer a lining of some kind to glide over tops.