Trusted Contributor

What does ALV stand for in a size chart?

For example see size chart in A254047

Honored Contributor

Re: ALV in qvc size charts???

I do not see what you are referring to but might it AVL mean available?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@alohakz wrote:

What does ALV stand for in a size chart?

For example see size chart in A254047

I had to figure out what you referred to. You are saying that the “click here” size chart on that item identifies each size column with the notation ALV at the top. If I read your words to mean that?

The item description is often abbreviated in the garment measurements. In the case of this dress, it is a All Over Animal Print V-neck dress. I am positive the ALV is a shorthand for AL as in all over and V for V-neck. It is not a code related to the size chart, it’s related to an abbreviation for the item description.  

Have you seen ALV on any size chart for other items? You give the example item as if you have found others, but are there actually other items showing the same abbreviation?

Trusted Contributor

Another item w/ ALV is a pair of linea pants A252357 so I don't think it refers to v-neck/all over print

Respected Contributor

The only thing I found is ALVAform which is a type of dress form manufacturers use.  

I have no idea if that's what it is....

Valued Contributor

This is a tough one.  Someone should get a prize for figuring this out.

Honored Contributor

My guess is it might have something to do with international sizing. ALV might stand for American Ladies' Version. Clothing factories make garments for other countries with different sizing references. Just guessing.

Trusted Contributor

@alohakz wrote:

Another item w/ ALV is a pair of linea pants A252357 so I don't think it refers to v-neck/all over print

Ooops. I guessed wrong?  I didn’t know there were other examples. You only supplied one. And then another. 

Maybe it’s an abbreviation for what manufacturing outlet makes the item?

I think @Bri36 actually,is on to,the correct answer. ALVAnon makes standardized dress forms that  size measurements are used for cutting garments consistently by a contract manufacturer.  I took @Bri36‘s big hint from her research and looked up more about those forms which are for dresses, pants or full body garments. The forms from Alvanon do come in US and European sizes and for missy and women’s, too. So now I’m thinking the prize goes to @Bri36 for identifying that the measurements indicated refer to the ALVanon mfr dress form/model to indicate the standard size references. 

If that’s not it, I give up. If I know the measurements of the garment I don’t care what arcane code they put above it. But it was a very interesting question and hats off to those who do know, @Bri36 for insightful guessing.