Honored Contributor

Re: PRINTED LININGS ON COATS & JACKETS?

I have had linings that would drag up what ever I was wearing, I can remember walking down 6th Ave, feeling like my rear was totally exposed, it a bit of a strange feeling

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I don't have a preference print vs. solid.  At the moment, I can't think of anything that I currently own that has a print lining.  

(I donated a couple of DBs and IMs that had a printed linng.  I wasn't wearing them, so I gave them away.)

I wouldn't buy anything that had a non- slippery lining

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 I have a navy blazer with white lining with blue pinstripes on it. I wear it with a white t-shirt and jeans and roll the cuffs up. It looks nicer than just a plain navy blazer. 

Respected Contributor

A printed lining would not be a deal breaker for me but if the fabric wasn't "slippery" it would. Many times, you'll have a reversible garment and one side will be something like polar fleece. Try getting that on, over your clothes! I've had some such garments that didn't end up being "reversible" for that reason.

Respected Contributor

Coats/jackets should have a silky feeling lining so it is easy to get in and out of.  I would not want all jackets/coats to have a printed lining, but depending on the style, I have purchased some items as the printed lining was what caught my eye.  I do like prints.

Honored Contributor

I usually turn back or roll the cuffs on jackets, so printed linings of any fabric don't thrill me either.  

But if the item was something I needed, was hella cheap, and I could somehow remove the lining without damage, I'd consider it.

Respected Contributor

I feel the same way as the OP here.  Can't stand printed linings.  If you have a print blouse on and the wind blows, there's that crazy print next to your blouse in an unmatched print.  Drives me nuts when I like a jacket and then see a goofy busy inside fabric.  No, thank you.

Honored Contributor

@MarkeieMark wrote:

I think a printed lining can make a statement.  It's nice to get a glimpse when a coat falls open.  Makes it unique.

I totally agree.

Esteemed Contributor

Hey @Tinkrbl44...long time...hope you are well.

I own one coat and two jackets...don't wear them often, so kind of a non-issue for me...none of them are lined, but I haven't had the "drag" problem, go figure.   I like a cute printed lining, but would only wear it with a white or black top and non-printed bottom, so I wouldn't get enough use out of it any way.

OTOH, I prefer a printed lining in a handbag rather than the black hole!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

I like printed linings on most coats and jackets.  Dressy-type long wool coats should have a plain lining, but otherwise, anything goes for me.  I have a light gray moto jacket that has a leopard silk lining and I think it's seriously cool.

Purses....?  I won't buy one with a dark color lining.  It has to be a light color without a pattern in it so I can see down to the bottom.  I always buy Baggallinni purses and I love their linings.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt