Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you think the vendors are asked to tell the same stories every time they present?

The story is part of good salesmanship and marketing. Using an entertainment example as an analogy: when a play has a long run in a city, the actors must give it for every performance because there are people in that audience who are seeing the show for the first time on that specific occasion. That's what expected with the sale of the tickets. For TV shopping the vendors must tell their stories each time, because even if the regulars (like us) have heard it a thousand times, there are thousands of people watching who have never seen that vendor -- and some who have never heard of the brand before.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think the vendors are asked to tell the same stories every time they present?

On 5/3/2014 shoekitty said:

Remember Virginia from Nesco in the old days? She had the same 18 quart Nesco for years, but her presentations were always new. She was interesting and fun to watch. She made you want to cook really good food, and of course you had to have a Nesco to do that!! LOL!

I dearly miss her shows and Steve doing them with her. I looked forward to those shows. I can still that cheese melting on that Lasagna, all gooey and slipping off her spatula as she cut into it. Oh dear , I need a drool cup, Hahahahah! Didn't Dan Ankroyd sell those on SNL once, before the Bass-o-matic?

Virginia from Nesco was one of QVC's best vendors if not THE best. I loved watching her demos. She made food that looked so good, told us how to make it and gave us many tips and ideas. I miss those days.

Respected Contributor

On 5/3/2014 Daysdee said:
On 5/3/2014 shoekitty said:

Remember Virginia from Nesco in the old days? She had the same 18 quart Nesco for years, but her presentations were always new. She was interesting and fun to watch. She made you want to cook really good food, and of course you had to have a Nesco to do that!! LOL!

I dearly miss her shows and Steve doing them with her. I looked forward to those shows. I can still that cheese melting on that Lasagna, all gooey and slipping off her spatula as she cut into it. Oh dear , I need a drool cup, Hahahahah! Didn't Dan Ankroyd sell those on SNL once, before the Bass-o-matic?

Virginia from Nesco was one of QVC's best vendors if not THE best. I loved watching her demos. She made food that looked so good, told us how to make it and gave us many tips and ideas. I miss those days.

She was a vendor I looked forward to watching.She convinced my sister to buy a Nesco roaster. She had good recipes,a pleasant vibe,and I miss that. Now its just a hit mess most of the time.

Trusted Contributor

Its a script...a sales pitch...go with what works.

The ordering on air by both the hosts and vendors is a sales pitch. I take it as a "we're not selling much of these, tell them you're ordering it too".

Respected Contributor

Josie Maran and her "" Aaarrrrddgon oil"" story is so tired.

But Renee dirty dancing(lol) as her sales pitch has my vote as the most unwatchable vendor. Next is Orthaheel with that magic marker on Stacy Ann's leg.

Trusted Contributor

I've watched QVC since 1990 & haven't heard any of these stories except for Jeanne Bice's (maybe twice?). As you said, press the Mute button!

Super Contributor

On 5/3/2014 Clover29 said:

It's a sales pitch, not a soap opera or daytime chat show. I think women who watch QVC as entertainment all the time are in the minority, but they may be over-represented on the boards compared to the general population of customers.

I'm sure that's true. I still have many friends who have never heard of QVC, or if they have, they've never watched it.

Super Contributor

On 5/3/2014 lolakimono said:

In addition to inventing the perfect ladies' pants, discovering the Fountain of Youth, and having people on the streets DEMANDING that I bring in more liquid fibers, did I tell you that no one knows that my invisible tan is fake because they're too busy staring at my flowing tresses? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Honored Contributor

It's sort of like my great uncle's bear in the garden story. He kept thinking he was telling it to you for the first time.

Must be tough for QVC and the vendors to balance the desires of accidental channel flipper watchers with those of longtime fans. I mostly keep the volume low when I have background shows like QVC on.

I mainly dislike the stories when they are obviously fake marketing hype. Like the Tarte thing showing the Amazon rainforest and some pots of colored clay, and the the claim that Tarte discovered them. I mean, really?

And argan oil. Please. She first heard about it in Allure or saw it at Whole Foods one day.

And just because that one Orthaheel model lady's foot goes all uncomfortable looking when barefoot doesn't mean that everyone needs those shoes. The products are fine. The stories are misleading IMO.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

On 5/3/2014 birkin baby said:

Josie Maran and her "" Aaarrrrddgon oil"" story is so tired.

But Renee dirty dancing(lol) as her sales pitch has my vote as the most unwatchable vendor. Next is Orthaheel with that magic marker on Stacy Ann's leg.

ITA !! ......