Super Contributor

Re: Do you think the vendors are asked to tell the same stories every time they present?

Whenever I hear Josie Moran tell the story of the French lady, I instantly think of the movie Elf, when he repeats "I passed through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops, and then I walked through the Lincoln Tunnel." I'm not sure why- maybe I find both stories comical.
Super Contributor

Re: Do you think the vendors are asked to tell the same stories every time they present?

On 5/3/2014 Krimpette said:

And then there's Josie Maran's story and the Ryka lady, among others. I'm not sure I understand why they have to keep repeating the stories, but I guess that they get a lot more new customers each presentation than I realize.

The Ryka lady needs a new story, maybe she was a personal trainer 20 years ago?!

Honored Contributor

On 5/3/2014 house cat said:
On 5/3/2014 Bird mama said:

I saw that! Poor Maria didn't want to do it. I really enjoy Angel and I like Susan Graver very much also, but those stories are so tiresome. I guess customers like me who already know the stories should just order online.

BTw, did you happen to hear Jane say that she literally grabbed a woman's shirt in the Magic Kingdom to reveal her QF label? I wouldn't recommend trying that. Someone did that to me at work and I wanted to deck her.. imagine a stranger?

I heard that story. She's lucky it turned out alright. It's not a good idea to go up to and touch strangers from behind.

Honored Contributor

If you were describing a product to someone, and then had to describe it to another 15 people, one at a time, trust me, by the time you got to the 8th person, you'd be saying the same thing over and over ..... it happens to sales people all the time. They develop a "spiel" for a product or service and it just rolls out of your mouth automatically.

(This is what the fast forward and mute buttons are for.)

Honored Contributor

On 5/3/2014 house cat said:
On 5/3/2014 Krimpette said:

And then there's Josie Maran's story and the Ryka lady, among others. I'm not sure I understand why they have to keep repeating the stories, but I guess that they get a lot more new customers each presentation than I realize.

I don't even watch the beauty shows and somehow I heard Josie's story at least a dozen times.

Jose's has to be the worst. Over and over again and sometimes it looks like she wants to laugh when she starts to tell it again. Of course then the emphasis on "Argan oil!" said with accent and drama!

Contributor

We are building wardrobes and women are talking to me on FB
Super Contributor

It's a sales pitch, not a soap opera or daytime chat show. I think women who watch QVC as entertainment all the time are in the minority, but they may be over-represented on the boards compared to the general population of customers.

Honored Contributor

In addition to inventing the perfect ladies' pants, discovering the Fountain of Youth, and having people on the streets DEMANDING that I bring in more liquid fibers, did I tell you that no one knows that my invisible tan is fake because they're too busy staring at my flowing tresses? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

I would think that they have to present their product as if no one had ever seen it before. That is what salesmen do. They do not have the liberty to be face to face, in person. Then they usually ask, "are you familiar with this product?", "do you have one?", so they can cut to the chase, and spare any redundantcy.

I think the 24/7 QVC veiwers are in the minority. I would think that QVC would approach their products as if all the viewers are new, and no one knows about their product.. People that watch QVC frequently, or are very familiar with the product, have to endure. That is what remotes are for.

I think vendors that have been on QVC for years, or are on often, should find a new words to use. A good sales person can approach the same sales pitch in a different order, or with a different perspective using new words, and changing vocal tone. At least that way it would seem fresher. It has to be hard selling the same product for years. At least with clothes fashion changes there are new items.

Honored Contributor

Remember Virginia from Nesco in the old days? She had the same 18 quart Nesco for years, but her presentations were always new. She was interesting and fun to watch. She made you want to cook really good food, and of course you had to have a Nesco to do that!! LOL!

I dearly miss her shows and Steve doing them with her. I looked forward to those shows. I can still that cheese melting on that Lasagna, all gooey and slipping off her spatula as she cut into it. Oh dear , I need a drool cup, Hahahahah! Didn't Dan Ankroyd sell those on SNL once, before the Bass-o-matic?