Regular Contributor

Transferring e-mail to new computer from old computer

I have a very old desktop Acer & use Vista. Have to replace it & I am thinking about getting an all in one computer. I have never used Windows 10 either. The all in one has a plug in back that goes into a regular outlet. My old computer has an address book with all the names, addresses, etc of all the people I e-mail. Of course my old desktop has no ports but the new ones does. Will my e-mail be able to be moved over? In case I have any viruses on my old computer I don't want to transfer those over using PC Mover. Help! I'm, 78 yrs old & know very little about computers.
Honored Contributor

Re: Transferring e-mail to new computer from old computer

What kind of email do you use?

Most are stored online and nothing is on your computer, so things like gmail, yahoo mail, etc won't be an issue.

If you have Office and Outlook installed, it depends on which version.

Without knowing what kind of email you use, I don't know.

Honored Contributor

Email is not stored on your computer, it is stored on the sever of the e mail service that you use.

Simply download the email program, enter your e mail address and password and everything should be on your new computer.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Regular Contributor

My e-mail is thru my internet provider, Century Link.
Regular Contributor

Well, here's how dumb I am. I don't know what it means to download my e-mail.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Email is not stored on your computer, it is stored on the sever of the e mail service that you use.

Simply download the email program, enter your e mail address and password and everything should be on your new computer.

Even older version of Outlook? I didn't know that. That's great!

Regular Contributor

I'll check back later for any more replies. Thanks to those who replied.
Honored Contributor

@purrmom wrote:
My e-mail is thru my internet provider, Century Link.

Yes, yours is all stored online.

You may have to install software onto your new device OR it might be as easy as visiting the website, entering your account, and having all your email right there. You can contact Century Link to ask. Most companies don't require special software anymore, but I don't know what Century Link does.

Respected Contributor

Just FYI, everyone, old email clients sometimes had databases with old messages stored on the user's computer. AOL was that way. And when those filing cabinets became corrupted, you lost all if not much of your email history, unless you had a good backup. 

Knowing which email the OP uses and how far back her messages go might help assure that they really are all sitting on the client side.

Century may also provide a tool to help port the emails from one system to another, like the ability to back up to the cloud and then download onto the new system. If they're all resident w/Century, of course, that's not necessary.

Honored Contributor

I have Century Link WiFi service, but my email provider is Gmail.  I didn't know CL had email service. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment