Respected Contributor

Good morning!

I am looking to help my in-laws with a lap top purchase, they need a second one due to high school grandchildren and homework.

They need Window 7. MS Word

They have no gaming needs.

I was looking at Toshiba's site for the old Windows verisons (some good prices) but I also noticed that the "other shopping network" (HQ) has refurbished laptops for great prices.

Thoughts/comments?

TIA

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't touch one with a ten-foot pole. Just like I would not buy a used car.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor
On 8/3/2014 Ford1224 said:

I wouldn't touch one with a ten-foot pole. Just like I would not buy a used car.

Why?

Honored Contributor
On 8/3/2014 Abrowneyegirl said:

Why?

I know several people who have bought cheap, refurbished computers and have nothing but problems. Not worth it to me.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I wouldn't buy a used or refurbished computer. I've sold my older computers but I take very good care of them. The people who bought them knew it was a well cared for machine. You never know what was done to the computer by the original owner. Computers are so cheap now, buy new.

Super Contributor

I wouldn't buy a refurbished laptop from a shopping channel. To start off with, they sell cheap, out-of-date technology and jack up the prices. While I havent looked at the prices of the refurbished laptops you see on their site, I am sure the prices are not consistent with manufacturer site prices for refurbished models. I wonder who fixed them to make them sellable again? (is sellable a word?? LOL) I wouldn't trust anyone but the manufacturer for that type of work and assessment.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a refurbished windows PC from anywhere, even manufacturer. Thats just me. But Apple does sell refurbished Mac's on their site. They were fixed by Apple technicians, are repackaged, and come with the same full warrantee that a new Mac comes with. In addition you have the option to purchase Apple Care with it, which will extend the warrantee. The warrantee covers tech support and hardware fixes. Research shows all positive reviews on the refurbished Apple products. Plus, their warrantee tells me that they stand behind the refurbished model just as they do for a new model.

If you must buy refurbished windows PC, then I recommend only from a manufacturer directly, and make sure it comes with the same warrantee as a brand new model.

Esteemed Contributor
On 8/3/2014 Lynnj said:

If you must buy refurbished windows PC, then I recommend only from a manufacturer directly, and make sure it comes with the same warrantee as a brand new model.

Dell and Apple are the only two companies that I know have same as new warranties on refurbished computers. I brought Dell outlet store desktop computers for more than 10 years. They were always a good deal, and worked very well. A customer has to understand something about the tech behind a computer to buy from Dell's outlet store.

To the OP, Toshiba's site would be a very good place to buy a laptop. Any questions, you could use online chat with the sales department or phone.

Respected Contributor

I guess my post to Ford who wasn't helpful but just posts her opinion were deleted. Why, I don't know?

Apple computers are very good, and R the market leader. That being said, I wouldn't buy a used one that was recommissioned by Apple. Reason, U never know what the original owner did and the amount of savings ~ 10% is not worth it. Do your homework and investigate. Good luckSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

U R a FOOL!

Super Contributor

The last 2 computers I've purchased (both laptops) have been refurbished. One Toshiba, one HP - neither gave me any issues and I've owned them for years. (I'm posting this on the HP right now, actually.)

I purchased both from my local computer repair service (a one-man shop type of place), and paid about half the price of a brand new laptop. I received a 2 year warranty from the computer shop (not Toshiba or HP), but never even had to use it.

I've been quite happy with both these purchases and wouldn't hesitate to buy another refurbished computer from this shop.