Honored Contributor
On 8/5/2014 glb613 said:

You don't have to buy directly from Apple to buy Applecare.

Correct but my understanding is that you have to go to Apple and show them the product for them to know that it's new and working. Might be wrong there??
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor
On 8/5/2014 glb613 said:

I use a mouse with both my iMac and MacBook Pro. I hate trackpads!

I do, too. I disable them most of the time.

Valued Contributor
On 8/5/2014 Mmsfoxxie said:
On 8/5/2014 glb613 said:

You don't have to buy directly from Apple to buy Applecare.

Correct but my understanding is that you have to go to Apple and show them the product for them to know that it's new and working. Might be wrong there??

If you buy direct from Apple, they automatically register your Applecare registration for all product(s). If you buy from a third party (like amazon or verizon) that does not automatically register your products for you, you can bring the product to any Apple Store or register online. (You'll need all the documentation with key/codes to register it properly.) This is also true if you buy an Apple product and then decide to buy Applecare for it later, within X number of weeks.

Respected Contributor

The latest models of iMacs do not have DVD drives. You do have to buy a separate one if you want one. I have a 6 year old iMac. I thas a DVD drive which I've used ONE TIME. In today's computer world i guess you directly download whatever you used to install using the DVD drive. You can upload data directly rather than write it and send it.

We have this iMac and a iPad. We love Mac computers and recommend them to anyone.

Respected Contributor

I have an iMac, bought the Superdrive and I'm glad I did. I use it to burn CDs/DVDs and to install software I have on disks. I've used it to transfer data on a CD to a flash drive then used the flash drive to install software on a computer without an optical drive. I also have music and photos on CDs and DVDs. While I don't use it daily, I'm glad I have it.

Regular Contributor
My iMac is a little over two years old and does have the DVD drive built in. The only time I use it is if I'm burning a cd, and that is rare. I wouldn't trade it or anything. I got it after my fourth PC crapped out right in the middle of doing something important, and it was only two years old at the time. DHs PC will be replaced soon with a Mac, is it is a $3000 hunk 'o junk at only three years old. For comparison sake, DS is still using the Mac laptop we purchased for him for school in 2008 with no change in performance or speed, same with DD, her MacBook was purchased in 2010. We won't buy anything anymore that isn't Mac.
Honored Contributor

Good points, I haven't burned a music cd in years, my car stereo plays music on my iPhone or iPods. I just plug it into the USB.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor
On 8/5/2014 glb613 said:

gib613, if I make a purchase, I'm leaning towards the imac (21.5 size) because my needs are simple and I'm not a computer guru. I just want a dependable computer that will be problem free for longer than 2 years. Do you use each one for different purposes? Why don't you like the trackpad? I would have to purchase an external dvd drive because I use dvds a lot. Thanks.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
On 8/5/2014 ChynnaBlue said:
On 8/5/2014 glb613 said:

I do, too. I disable them most of the time.

Same here. I don't disable my trackpad as there are times I need that finesse that a finger roll can give, but for the most part I always use a mouse.

Respected Contributor
On 8/8/2014 Mmsfoxxie said:
On 8/5/2014 glb613 said:

gib613, if I make a purchase, I'm leaning towards the imac (21.5 size) because my needs are simple and I'm not a computer guru. I just want a dependable computer that will be problem free for longer than 2 years. Do you use each one for different purposes? Why don't you like the trackpad? I would have to purchase an external dvd drive because I use dvds a lot. Thanks.

I'm astounded at how durable the Macbook pro laptops are. I have had no problems whatsoever with mine and it's 4 years old. I play all sorts of puzzles and hidden object games (graphics intensive) and it does great. Can't say I ever had a windows laptop perform as well or last anywhere near as long.