Super Contributor
I believe the reason the DVD drive was remove has a lot to do with the ultra thin iMacs now being produced and Apple would like everyone to download most software, etc. and install it this way. But I have a lot of pictures, files on CDs which I will want to access so I will need a DVD drive. They aren't too expensive. I would still prefer an Apple computer.
Respected Contributor
On 8/9/2014 Perkup said:

My Mac is about three years old, and has a DVD slot. But DH purchased a 'huge" screen one a few months back. He just noticed last week that it has no DVD slot, because he's never had a reason to use one in the past. However, it became an issue for him when he needed to install something. I guess it's another way for them to save $$ on manufacturing, and for you and I to spend money on those parts they've left out. Not a problem for me at this time, but a pesky nuisance if I have to replace this one.

It has to do with the evolving technology. Remember 3.5 inch "floppy disks"? I remember people getting all worked up when computers no longer had floppy disk drives because CDs and DVDs replaced them. Sure people still had floppy disks, but if they wanted to hang on to the old technology they had to buy external drives to accommodate them, people who were ready to move along with the technology didn't have to spend the money.

Download speeds of even the least expensive internet access allow for downloading programs. Many software manufacturers now only provide their product through download, and if you want a DVD you have to pay extra for it. Basically, the USB slots have replaced the DVD drives the way the DVD replaced the floppy disk. USB slots allow use of thumb drives that hold more than DVDs as well as a means to connect MP3 players.

Honored Contributor

MacBook Air. Had to buy external drive. LOVE it beyond any computer I've had in 30 years.

Honored Contributor
mmsfoxxie, we bought our 17" MacBook Pro before I had my eye surgeries, and I found out after buying it that the print size is changeable. If you want enlarged print on the 11" MacBook Air, it's there, as it is on all the other Macs.
Super Contributor

Not sure why others are saying that they have a problem with print on a Mac, especially on a laptop or tablet. You can adjust the size of the page using the trackpad. Just like you do on a tablet to make a picture larger, take two fingers pinched together and push out.

I also do this on my iPhone and iPad when online because I can't see what i am reading. On a phone or tablet you put your fingers anywhere on the screen and push out. I just move the page around with my finger to read the page, or just enlarge it just enough that the page fits the screen.

Respected Contributor

Mac user always say""Once you go MAC you never go back.""

Honored Contributor
On 8/9/2014 Lynnj said:

Not sure why others are saying that they have a problem with print on a Mac, especially on a laptop or tablet. You can adjust the size of the page using the trackpad. Just like you do on a tablet to make a picture larger, take two fingers pinched together and push out.

I also do this on my iPhone and iPad when online because I can't see what i am reading. On a phone or tablet you put your fingers anywhere on the screen and push out. I just move the page around with my finger to read the page, or just enlarge it just enough that the page fits the screen.

That's true Lynn but on the iPad mini, you lose part of your line unless you scroll left and right, which is a nuisance. In the last few days, on here and doing research, I realize I won't have that problem on any Mac. I didn't even know that the imac mini needs a separate monitor in which you choose the size. It's been an educational week.
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Super Contributor
On 8/9/2014 Mmsfoxxie said:
On 8/9/2014 Lynnj said:

That's true Lynn but on the iPad mini, you lose part of your line unless you scroll left and right, which is a nuisance. In the last few days, on here and doing research, I realize I won't have that problem on any Mac. I didn't even know that the imac mini needs a separate monitor in which you choose the size. It's been an educational week.

Yep, the same happens when you do that on the phone. It is annoying, but I've gotten used to using my finger to move the page left and right to read. For me this works. Keep educating yourself about technology. There is so much to learn. I consider myself pretty technology savoy, and still learn something new everyday. Either an easier way to do something, a new trick, or a feature I never even knew existed. Then, of course, once you learn something, they change the technology and you need to learn again. LOL. The learning never stops.