Respected Contributor

U

@SilleeMee wrote:

If you are trying to connect a new laptop to your wifi network then just use your network name to connect it.  The laptop should automatically search for your wifi signal then type in the name of your network on new laptop set up screen.

You don't need a router password to connect a new device to your wifi. All you need is the name of your network which is found on the lower right corner where the wifi icon of a little computer screen appears. Click that and it lists all the networks in your area. Yours will be listed there.

Network name and router signal are tied together and secure. You, or someone in your household, gave your network a name when your router was activated. That name is what you need to know.

@SilleeMee  I would think she very much indeed needs the password for her network this I thought was her question. If one doesn't need a password to connect a new device, that would mean everyone in the vicinity of her Wi-Fi strength would be able to connect and that way, way, bad!

Honored Contributor

Re: Lost Password. Help!

[ Edited ]

I removed some of my posts because they were confusing.

Respected Contributor

Here is how i i understand it and if i am ignorant i would love the education by anyone who knows better:

When i look at my tablet and go to my settings and then to Wifi...I can see the name of all the wifis ( networks) in my surrounding neighborhood. Businesses and homes who are within strength.

I've connected to my netorkwhen I first signed up my tablet. I don't need to log in every time.   If I had a neighbor's password I could connect to theirs. But I don't have them. I do occasionally see someone's network without a padlock symbol next to it, which means they never password protected their network, which is bad and opens them up to be vulnerable to folks to go into it and steal info.

Stores or businesses will often have free WiFi connection as a service to their customers that does not require  a password but it is not their company's internal working WiFi, but rather just general internet.

When friends or family come over or stay with me, and want to connnect their own devices to internet, I give them my password to my network or create a new user/password for them that I can delete when they leave. 

Honored Contributor

Do you have a WPS button on your router? Try using that to connect your laptop.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 

Checking back to see if there is a nifty way to do this.

Two thoughts....

Is your router REALLY over 20 years old?  That must be a record.

A new one you buy is pretty cheap and you will soon make the money back that is wasted by renting.  

If you buy one, you can name and password till the cows come home.

Call the network heisgoingtodie and the password mrkachina.  Or whatever. 😂

Respected Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

@Kachina624 

Checking back to see if there is a nifty way to do this.

Two thoughts....

Is your router REALLY over 20 years old?  That must be a record.

A new one you buy is pretty cheap and you will soon make the money back that is wasted by renting.  

If you buy one, you can name and password till the cows come home.

Call the network heisgoingtodie and the password mrkachina.  Or whatever. 😂

I missed that part.  Buy new and have a better router. 

Occasional Contributor

You can log into the router using the credentials on the sticker, but you will have to go to the routers login page and reset the password there.  Or you can re-set the router and then you can set it up all over again and you can reset the password that way.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I recently bought and received both the Q Amazon Fire and HSN RCA mini laptop/tablet.  I think I like the RCA best but it's  kind of hard to judge because I can't get online with either.  I'm embarrassed to say that I'm unable to come up with my router password.  I had it written 3 or 4 places but can't find any of them.  It's on my old tablet which is dead.  I spent the day looking through my desk to no avail.  It's  been years since I last needed it.

I went on YouTube to see if it can be retrieved from my cell phone.  It can but the instructions are so complicated I was totally lost on the first step.  Their Android didn't match mine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Who is  your provider? I have Comcast and I was able to call them and change the password with no problem.

Esteemed Contributor

I never trusted my memory when I was younger, I do not now in my 50's. Not only do we have to remember wifi passwords we have to remember pin numbers and usernames, I have too many devices to remember all these numbers.Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SilleeMee.  With both devices, when I turn them on, it bring up the name of my router, I click on it, then it asks for my password.  All action then comes to a screeching halt as I have none to enter.

Does it not ask you if you have forgotten your password?  Try using a password, that you think could have been yours and if it asks you if you have forgotten, say yes.