Esteemed Contributor

When you bought the router and renamed it, you would have had to set a user/password for their site (to get rid of admin) as well a name/password for the tablets etc to use.  

So actually you have a double problem.  If you named each band you have a triple problem.

With the information from the back you can at least get to their site for support by using a device that does connect.

Esteemed Contributor

Passwords are such a bother

I have a spiral notebook with all passwords in it

also the folder from my internet provider has the password on it

it's a very complex password so I'm really glad it's in more than 1 place.

@Kachina624  I don't envy you, trying to solve this

Honored Contributor

Re: Lost Password. Help!

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  I once had a problem with a router that was aging out. I had written the password for that old router down but it still had to be reset. until I could get a new one. I found it much more expeditious to call than seek help on the website. My router is now through my cable company and they assigned a password to the modem containing the router. It's on a label on the side of the modem, so I can reference it if I need to, though I did write it down. If your router is a stand alone, again, I'd look up the customer service number and call them. If it's through a cable or satellite company just call them and they'll direct you. Resetting the password is easy, but you'll probably have to reenter it in all your devices that use that router. Good luck. Technology is tough. We can't live with it and we can't live without it.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I think I was assigned this password by my ISP, Century Link, when I signed up 20 years ago.  It's just a string of unrelated numbers and letters.  Unlike most passwords, it has no meaning to me.  It is not the one that's on the device.  I'd recognize it if I saw it.  Guess I'll bite the bullet and call them tomorrow.

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often as everyone with Wi-Fi must have one of these passwords.  They are easily lost or forgotten. If my tablet hadn't crashed, I'd have it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

Did you try typing in the name of your network where it asks for router name?

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee. I tried it, "Incorrect Password".

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  :  I feel your pain!  I wrote  all my passwords in a small address book 13 years ago when I retired.  Worked like a charm until I misplaced it.  What a pain!  I had to change at least five passwords!  When I got all done I FOUND MY ADDRESS  BOOK!  Btw, my son in Rio Rancho has the same company as you and his password is ridiculous!  Good luck with your problem.

Honored Contributor

@patbz. My lost password is floating around in a lost address book too, but I haven't found it

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lost Password. Help!

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624

I did a search " How to access a forgotten router password". It gave me a site, "How to Geek". You can then find this link Routerpasswords.com. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SilleeMee.  With both devices, when I turn them on, it bring up the name of my router, I click on it, then it asks for my password.  All action then comes to a screeching halt as I have none to enter.

SillleeMee is wrong about not needing a router or network password.  Unless your router is old or you changed the default password, most routers have a preset password which is listed on the router itself.  There should be a lable located someplace on the router, find it and try entering the password and see if it works.  

If that fails, go to Google and search for how to reset your router to it's default or original settings.  If you are able to reset it, you'll have to reconnect your devices using the new password.