Honored Contributor

How long does an iPad battery last?

I have an IPad I bought in 2013.  I use it everyday for a few hours.  It works great.  How long do iPads last?  Does  the battery finally wear out? Is it expensive to replace? 

Respected Contributor

Re: How long does an iPad battery last?

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have an IPad I bought in 2013.  I use it everyday for a few hours.  It works great.  How long do iPads last?  Does  the battery finally wear out? Is it expensive to replace? 

There is no real definitive answer.  It depends on the battery, how often it's charged and how often it's allowed to deplete as well as age.  You can't replace the battery yourself.  You need to take it to an authorized repair center and they will charge to do the work plus the price of the battery. 

Trusted Contributor

I sure don't know but I've had mine since March of 2012 and on it daily. I only turn it off at night. Still going strong. I'm curious about that quetion also.

Honored Contributor

@Sadiesadie wrote:

I sure don't know but I've had mine since March of 2012 and on it daily. I only turn it off at night. Still going strong. I'm curious about that quetion also.

I always wonder about this.  Is it better to turn it completely off every night, or only occasionally?  I leave mine on during the week and turn it off every weekend since I don't use it then.  But I used to turn my computer off every night.

Honored Contributor

Rechargeable batteries have an expected life cycle (number of times they can be charged) but that varies depending on how they're used. It's pretty much impossible to say exactly how long a battery will last. There are a number of videos up showing how to replace batteries in pretty much everything, but Apple tablets are among the more challenging to replace and likely best left to a pro.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I've wondered the same about my iPad 2, which is 4 or 5 years old.  With doobdoo's help I reset it to factory condition last year because it was so slow and did wonky things.  Everything was nicely saved but it didn't help much with the problems I was having.  I don't use it much anymore, having replaced it with a Samsung S2 Tab.  My iPad still recharges very fast. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

" Apple states that normal battery life for surfing the Internet using WiFi, playing music or watching videos is up to ten hours, while surfing the Internet using a 3G network should be up to about nine hours. Perform a monthly battery calibration. Drain the battery completely, then charge it 100 percent." Hth

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

It depends on whether you recharge it only when it gets down to 15%, or if you partially charge it a lot, and whether you are on it plugged in.

I've traded up at between 2-4 years with all my iPads (I'm on my third) and none of them had serious battery issues, like a laptop I had that would not function w/o being plugged in.

I partially charge or use it plugged in a lot. It does get total depletions where I get a warning and plug it in, when I'm absent-minded and forget to plug it in.

I've never had one long enough that needing a battery was a problem, because after a certain point you'll have issues with speed, task-performing and OS upgrades that are more likely to get me to upgrade than a battery issue.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

It depends on whether you recharge it only when it gets down to 15%, or if you partially charge it a lot, and whether you are on it plugged in.

I've traded up at between 2-4 years with all my iPads (I'm on my third) and none of them had serious battery issues, like a laptop I had that would not function w/o being plugged in.

I partially charge or use it plugged in a lot. It does get total depletions where I get a warning and plug it in, when I'm absent-minded and forget to plug it in.

I've never had one long enough that needing a battery was a problem, because after a certain point you'll have issues with speed, task-performing and OS upgrades that are more likely to get me to upgrade than a battery issue.

my issue with my current ipad2,  which has reached the limit of operating system etc.  battery life is just fine 

Honored Contributor

My first gen ipad still works, it was delievered on release day. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval