Honored Contributor

Re: How long does an iPad battery last?

@jackthebear wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

It depends on whether you recharge it only when it gets down to 15%, or if you partially charge it a lot, and whether you are on it plugged in.

I've traded up at between 2-4 years with all my iPads (I'm on my third) and none of them had serious battery issues, like a laptop I had that would not function w/o being plugged in.

I partially charge or use it plugged in a lot. It does get total depletions where I get a warning and plug it in, when I'm absent-minded and forget to plug it in.

I've never had one long enough that needing a battery was a problem, because after a certain point you'll have issues with speed, task-performing and OS upgrades that are more likely to get me to upgrade than a battery issue.

my issue with my current ipad2,  which has reached the limit of operating system etc.  battery life is just fine 

That was it for me too. Sometimes there are features a new one has that you really want, sometimes Apple stops updating an old model, some things you won't be able to do that you really want to be able to do. But my battery was entirely usable.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

ThankYou for all the replies! 

Honored Contributor

I have an iPad 2 that needed a battery replacement after about four years.  I went out to YouTube and saw a video on how to replace it.  I ordered the battery and a kit with adhesive strips to "glue" it back together after I put in a new battery.

It was fairly easy and cost me less than $25 for everything.  

My original battery would not hold a charge for too long and finally it just went black.  The iPad works great with the new battery.  I purchased a new iPad mini, but use the old one as a spare/backup.

Honored Contributor

I have an IPad 3. I have a case with a cover. I very rarely shut mine down. Just close the cover. So far battery is still going strong. Charge lasts about 10 hours. No more updates from Apple for my IPad. I use it quite a bit.

Honored Contributor

Regarding updates for "obsolete" equipment. Microsoft has now decided that they're moving to an ecosystem model with Windows 10 rather than an operating system model. That means that, in theory anyway, no Windows 10 device will ever need a new operating sytem or be too outdated to receive updates. They've essentially decided that Windows 10 is "it" as their operating system and anything they do to it will just be minor tweaks from here on out. (I'm not altogether sure I truly believe Microsoft, but that's what they say.)

It'll be interesting to se if Apple follows that model and creates one "final" iOS and then just tweaks it as need be in the future so no Apple product made after that will ever be left out of future updates.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I have a Ipad2 and 3 and I never had any issues with the battery for either one of them. I would imagine depending on what a person does on it will deplete the battery quicker. Like downloading and uploading.

Respected Contributor

Asking how long a battery lasts can mean several things.  How much time before recharging, years before the battery fails, number of charges before it fails, etc.  My sense of the OP question was how many years before it fails to hold a charge. 

Respected Contributor

I have an iPad 3, bought when they were first released, and so far working fine. I rarely turn it completely off.

I'm ready for a new device, so I won't  mind when it fails.

Honored Contributor

The #1 batter-eater on any device, iPads included, is screen brightness. I have always tended to keep my screen at about 70-80% brightness, only occasionally 100%. Streaming a movie on high brightness will zap it down even faster.

There is a huge difference in screen brightness between my old Air 2 and my new 9.7" Pro. I rarely have it set to more than 50% brightness and at night often 25%.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I have an IPad 3. I have a case with a cover. I very rarely shut mine down. Just close the cover. So far battery is still going strong. Charge lasts about 10 hours. No more updates from Apple for my IPad. I use it quite a bit.

That makes no sense... What difference does it make if you have a case with a cover or not? If you leave your Ipad on it will [the battery] will deplete at some point. Unless you leave it on without touching it then it might last a bit longer.