Honored Contributor

Re: Get pictures from old computer

@Nuttmeg wrote:

I use a gmail account, and free Google drive to store photo.  Your click free is going to go bad.  What will you do?

@Nuttmeg

When it goes bad?  Pretty easy to copy as was described.

jm

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

I use a gmail account, and free Google drive to store photo.  Your click free is going to go bad.  What will you do?

@Nuttmeg

jm

Before you or anyone thinks Click Free is the best way to save photos, find out if it's compatible with the all operating systems.  It uses software to create a backup and may not be compatible if you buy a new computer with a newer operating system. 

I use Apple's Time Machine to make backups but, I also save data using the drag and drop method and buring to DVDs.  Never have only one backup or only one copy of what you can't afford to lose.   

Respected Contributor

Thanks @hckynut

I was just looking at the Seagate drives online yesterday. I will go ahead and order one as I like a plug and play drive as you described.

Thanks. Hope you and Cindy are doing well.

Trusted Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Nuttmeg

jm

@hckynut Thing is when hard drives fail there will likely be no warning (at least not that someone with minimal computer knowledge would pick up on). AND the only possiblity for accessing any files on the drive will also be gone, at least without hiring experts (who typically charge thousands of dollars).

Ideally one should have at least two backup copies of anything particularly valuable, with one copy stored off the premises. A natural disaster can destroy an entire home, including the computer and any backup drives.

Honored Contributor

@juperier

All of the things I deem as irreplaceable, I also have copied to 2 separate DVD'S. The OP was asking about a comparable backup drive, thus I tried to make my reply as simple as possible. 

Not putting down anyone with the word "simple", I don't know how much knowledge on certain topics posters might have, thus I try to simplify my replies in this Electronics Forum.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)