New Contributor

Get pictures from old computer

I have a very old XP that barely works. I’m going to get rid of it. What’s the best way to get pictures off of it? I’m not very technically Davy but I’d appreciate anything you’d recommend.
Honored Contributor

Re: Get pictures from old computer

Email the pics to yourself on another comp.

Do you have Dropbox on all your comp and/or mobile devices?  If so, put the pics inside the Dropbox folder.  The pics will then appear in the Dropbox folders you have on your other devices.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

I downloaded all of my pictures from my old computer onto a flashdrive; then I uploaded them into my new computer.  I am not computer savy much either.  

Valued Contributor

@7moves does your computer have a port you can put a flash drive in?

If so, just click the pic and download to the the flashy.  At this time, you can keep them on numerous choices.  You can get them put on a CD, you can get them in print if that is your choice, and you can upload them to your new computer.  U can do some of each, it is up to you.  

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Email the pics to yourself on another comp.

Do you have Dropbox on all your comp and/or mobile devices?  If so, put the pics inside the Dropbox folder.  The pics will then appear in the Dropbox folders you have on your other devices.

Depending on the number of photos you have, that can be quite tedious.  Plus, some mail program will automatically make the photos smaller so they are easier to send.  As posted, get either a flash drive or an external hard drive and drag/drop the photos.  If you have a CD/DVD recorder, you can also make CDs/DVDs and have a more permanant copy. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A USB is probably the easiest.

You can get them at the grocery store now.  I bought one to bring some work pictures to the office that I took on my personal camera.

I couldn't email them, as I could only email one photo per email due to size constraints.

USB.jpg

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
New Contributor

Thanks everyone. Your comments are very helpful. I think I’ll try a flash drive. I was hoping to find something like Clickfree that QVC used to sell but I don’t see it anymore - or on Amazon. It was automatic. You plugged it into your computer and it automatically loaded all your pictures from your computer. Anyone have one?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a ClickFree and love it. I would buy another one myself but you are right about not being available.

I want to get an external drive that is plug and play like the ClickFree but not sure what to get that isn't complicated. I don't want a Cloud account.

Honored Contributor

@MKR14

If you have a USB port, or better yet, a USB 3 port, hooking up an external hard drive is simple. I have 2 Seagate External Hard Drives. 1 is hooked up to my Dish Network Hopper 3 USB 3 Port(I explained that in the "DVR RANT Thread").

The other Seagate I have hooked to my computer USB 2 Port to save information. The one I have hooked to my computer came with built-in software. Thus it works, I think, like this Clickfree thing. You bring up both drives(C and whatever letter the hard drive is using, say E). Then you bring up the Folder or Files you want to transfer, and Drag and Drop.

Not sure anything is easier than that when it comes to moving some Folders and/or files.

hn

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@MKR14 wrote:

I have a ClickFree and love it. I would buy another one myself but you are right about not being available.

I want to get an external dive that is plug and play like the ClickFree but not sure what to get that isn't complicated. I don't want a Cloud account.

I use a gmail account, and free Google drive to store photo.  Your click free is going to go bad.  What will you do?