Esteemed Contributor

@Reever

Some people want to carry a computer in their pocket or purse. I do. The technology is special. 

An iPhone12 will receive security updates for 5 years. My Note 10 should get updates for about 3 years. 

Honored Contributor

Re: ☎️ iPhone 12 ☎️

[ Edited ]

@Reever   They aren't obsolete in three or four years.  Some people like to update more often than others.  I used my iPhone 7 for a long time before updating last year to the iPhone 11.  I use my iPhone as my main phone and only get telemarketing calls on my home phone.

I'm not glued to my phone, but it does seem necessary.  I know you'll never see it any other way, but everyone isn't like you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

When you look at everything a modern smartphone does, the prices don't look as bad. They're a computer, digital camera, digital camcorder, GPS unit, tape recorder, Mp3 player, flashlight, FM radio (in many cases), calculator, calendar, portable game console, and much, much more. All in one tiny little package that fits in your pocket. Oh, and they're also a phone.

Now, I'm not an iPhone kind of guy and I get all of that functionality from a much cheaper smartphone (Moto G7 Optimo Maxx at present that I paid $89.99 for with a full years service,) but when you look at what you'd have to pay for individual devices to replace all that a modern smartphone does, even the highest-priced iPhone looks like a bargain in comparison. 

Videomaker Magazine was first published in 1986. The average price of a camcorder alone back then was $1,646 (among the 58 models they featured in their magazine in 86/87.) And they weren't as good as a modern smartphone. My cheap little Motorola lets me record in 4K at 30 frames per second. None of those $1600+ camcorders could come close to matching that. I can record longer videos with no need for videotape at a higher quality and with more options (image stabilization, auto-focus, and much, much more) than you could back then with a $1,600+ camcorder.

My first desktop computer cost over $2,000 and was less capable than a modern smartphone. (It had a 1.2 GB hard drive. My phone has 32 GB's.) The amount of technology squeezed into a tiny little package these days is ridiculous. Every song I've ever bought is now stored on a micro-sd card in my phone. There are over eight thousand songs I carry with me wherever I go. You couldn't do that with eight tracks, cassettes, or CD's. Don't even think about vinyl records. I can simply say "Hey Google, play (insert name of song here) by (insert name of singer here)" and my phone will start playing that song within seconds.

Should you rush out and buy an iPhone? I wouldn't simply because I can buy a much less expensive phone that does everything I need a phone to do. Why pay five times more than I have to? If you need more capabilities though, go for it. Compared to what you'd have had to pay for those same capabilities just a few years ago, if they were even available at all, modern smartphones are a bargain. Even the most expensive ones.

A lot of people tend to overbuy, and that's their right. People will buy a fully equipped iPhone 12 Pro Max when a much cheaper phone will do, but people will buy a Bugatti Veyron (that's a $2.5 million car by the way with a top speed of 250 MPH) when a Toyota Camry would take them the same places for much less money. Me, I'd take the Camry and the change, but that's just me. Likewise, when it comes to phones, I pick one that does just what I need and not a whole lot more. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

Never owned anything "i" or apple. As for this 12. Heard it has a much faster processor and is 5g and the case is made of something harder, not as easy to break if dropped. Also a tech guy mentioned some type of trade in of i6 or 8 with a plan, the 12 could essentially be free.

Repeating what I just heard and saw on a morning news tech person. I just don't remember all the exact details.

Not for me I will stick with Tracfone Android.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@gardenman 

Never owned anything "i" or apple. As for this 12. Heard it has a much faster processor and is 5g and the case is made of something harder, not as easy to break if dropped. Also a tech guy mentioned some type of trade in of i6 or 8 with a plan, the 12 could essentially be free.

Repeating what I just heard and saw on a morning news tech person. I just don't remember all the exact details.

hckynut 

@hckynut   You seem to be practical. I still cant be convinced this device is necessary. No one needs such a thing.  I remember how lovely it was until the middle 1990s when these things started appearing   I am grateful to have lived most of my life without them and do not need a phone to carry around on the go.  Sadly the younger generation views these things as a necessity  My niece being one, always checking the phone. Why I have no idea

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@gardenman 

hckynut 

@hckynut   You seem to be practical. I still cant be convinced this device is necessary. No one needs such a thing.  I remember how lovely it was until the middle 1990s when these things started appearing   I am grateful to have lived most of my life without them and do not need a phone to carry around on the go.  Sadly the younger generation views these things as a necessity  My niece being one, always checking the phone. Why I have no idea

@Reever  I consider a phone a necessity and I appreciate having a computer with the world at my fingertip and I am in my seventies. I don't see anything sad about the world evolving. You probably wouldn't have liked the 'horseless carriage' if you lived back in those days. People need to keep up with the times or be left behind. Please remember that life is what you make it. 

Honored Contributor

@Reever 

You nailed me! I am a practical and frugal wanting the most for my money. I pretty much buy only things I, or we, need. Seldom stray from those practices.

My interest in electronics started in the mid '50's. My first was with audio back when we had only AM radio stations. There was no such thing as stereo, only monophonic 1 channel sound.

As far as technology I like all of the advances, except the mobile type now used by many as extension of an ear. I own a smart phone, but cannot tell you the last time I used it. 

I have used Tracfone for many years because I want a phone with me when I am out. Have been buying a new one every year when my time expires, only because new is cheaper than renewing for another year. My phone figures out to around $6 a month.

I like my computer and my tablet for my online use. My phone I use for it's original purpose, to call and talk with people, that's it. 

No trying to convince you or anyone that they need a smart phone. I buy on because I like having it for an emergency, not many public phone booths around anymore, so my cell I take with me.

Having their faces glued to a screen in their hand is no only young people. For many older adults it is the same, probably just different in context. It you do not need one?

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Reever 

My interest in electronics started in the mid '50's. My first was with audio back when we had only AM radio stations. There was no such thing as stereo, only monophonic 1 channel sound.

Miss the 1950s @hckynut    Simpler times and everyone seemed happy not the devisive world we have now.  Fear for our Grandchildren entering this world today. I long for simpler times...  AM radios were fine by me and still are today.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@gardenman 

hckynut 

@Reever- Why do you keep mentioning the younger generation?  Who is in this younger generation? I know people in their 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s who love technology and utilize their phones for everything.  As it was said up thread not everyone is like you.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is off topic