Honored Contributor

There's really no need for any product to include chargers these days. There are so many in circulation that every home likely has five to ten already.

Slightly off topic but related to power, rethinking the power grid might make sense. Pretty much everything these days runs off of low voltage DC power. Everything seems to have power bricks or built in transformers/power supplies to change the 120 V AC to a lower voltage (typically 5-12 V DC.) If we could change the power grid from 120 V AC to something like a 12 V DC system all of those power bricks and transformers would no longer be needed. The longterm cost savings could be pretty enormous. I'm not sure it doesn't make more sense to change the relatively few things that need 120 V AC to using 12 V DC or some other alternative  instead of the other way around. LED lights, modern HDTVs, computers, and most modern electronics use a lower voltage DC power.

It's a "big idea" type thing to consider, but given where we are now, if you were building a power grid from scratch, a 12 V DC power grid might be smarter. Converting our grid to a 12 V DC system would be an interesting concept to explore. You'd probably need both girds side by side for a few years as the transition took place, but it could be an interesting move.

As to the new iPhone, the biggest upgrade is the move to 5G which pretty much every phone will be in the not too distant future. The camera upgrades are largely incremental along with the screen resolution. It's not a drastically better phone. It's just an anticipated upgrade. It's not a revolutionary upgrade. If you need a new phone and wsnt an iPhone, then grab one. If not, you'll be fine without it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Talk about a cheap corporation!  How are you supposed to charge the dang thing?  This is why (one reason) I avoid all Apple products.

The reason was explained.  Most people already have wall chargers and ear pods so they don't need a new one.  If you need one, you can buy it separately.  

@glb613    The reason given was a sad cop-out, ecological???  I think not, just cheap.  Why should a consumer HAVE TO buy a charger when the phone can't be used without one?  Probably costs Apple a whole dollar.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: ☎️ iPhone 12 ☎️

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Talk about a cheap corporation!  How are you supposed to charge the dang thing?  This is why (one reason) I avoid all Apple products.

The reason was explained.  Most people already have wall chargers and ear pods so they don't need a new one.  If you need one, you can buy it separately.  

@glb613    The reason given was a sad cop-out, ecological???  I think not, just cheap.  Why should a consumer HAVE TO buy a charger when the phone can't be used without one?  Probably costs Apple a whole dollar.

@Kachina624,   From my perspective, though, it goes beyond just the one charger in one purchase.  The packaging can be smaller, not needing to accommodate room for the 2 items, which saves in the materials used not just for the boxes and compartments but also for protective sleeves, fasteners, and other packaging -- and looking beyond that allows more boxes per shipping container (pallets I think they might be called?)   And as @gardenman and others said, you can count me among those who already have too many extra accessories -- specifically the ear buds and chargers -- and don't need or want them included.   I'd dare say most of us don't need extras included.   Sure, it saves money for Apple and I understand cynicism about large corporations, but it's also good for the environment whether they save money or not.   When we look at the staggering number of units purchased, and all the waste involved, it adds up quickly.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo   I wonder how many Keurig machines they have at Apple facilities spitting out used K-cups by the thousands?

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624   It comes with an

USB-C to Lightning Cable. Also per Apple "As part of our efforts to reach our environmental goals, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max do not include a power adapter or EarPods. Please use your current Apple power adapter and headphones. 

Honored Contributor

Wow, why is this so important? If it upsets people so much don't buy the product. People who don't want merchandise they already have can buy it. Can't believe anyone would get so upset about this.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ   It's the principle of the thing.  Don't worry, I won't be buying it.  I'm a Samsung fan.  They include a charger.

Esteemed Contributor

@Re: ☎️ iPhone 12 ☎️

@Kachina624 :  Speaking of Samsung:  I just bought an unlocked Samsung A21 as a Prime deal for $50 less than the same phone from Sams less week for DH.  Added two micro SD cards for phones at $15.99 each.  I got some great deals from Amazon on things I "needed" anyway.

Honored Contributor

Re: @Re: ☎️ iPhone 12 ☎️

@patbz   I bought a new Galaxy tablet at Amazon right after Prime Day started.  It wasn't a special deal but I "needed" it too.  I was hoping it would be on sale but no such luck, of course.  I should get it Friday.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Wow, why is this so important? If it upsets people so much don't buy the product. People who don't want merchandise they already have can buy it. Can't believe anyone would get so upset about this.

Maybe because Apple is worth $2 Trillion? Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif