Valued Contributor

Re: when you start a thread,

On 8/29/2014 Deb1010again said:
On 8/29/2014 chickenbutt said:

I virtually never start threads on this board because they are generally ignored. But, when I have and the thread hasn't dropped like a rock to another page, I will acknowledge replies and thank people for their help if it was a question.

It seems like there are a lot of people on this board who don't even bother to read what anybody else has to say, though. It's like only what they have to say matters so even if the question has been answered twenty times, they go ahead and say the same thing.

I also see some threads where you put it out there, wanting to help somebody, and you are just completely ignored by the OP. Some will only respond to their 'friends'.

I try not to open up my heart too much here because some people treat you like you don't matter at all. That could get to a person. It used to get to me, but it doesn't anymore. I just back off for the most part, and keep my feelings to myself. Or, if I think what I have to say might help somebody else, I'll have my say and leave it at that. You never know when something you said helped somebody out there in internetland and that's priceless. Smiley Happy

(((chickenbutt))) - I always read your responses as you are one of my favorite people in here. I'm sorry you haven't had a good experience at getting feedback or being acknowledged. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I agree with most in this thread who equate this to starting a conversation. I think the OP is the facilitator for the discussion and should acknowledge replies (doesn't have to be each individually) and encourage discussion around various points brought up.

((((((((((chicken but))))))))))you and others with similar feelings can be in my club----whenever I've posted a little poem, it is ignored or I'm raked over the coals----I don't do that anymore. Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor

thanks to all for being polite---I don't start until the afternoon---sorry I'm a bit late in replying. Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor

On 8/29/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:

I do but sometimes I also forget. My memory has been really bad lately and I started a thread about herbs and then completely forgot about it. By the time I remembered it was a couple of days old and I thought it would be stupid to comment on it and bring it up again.

I respectfully disagree, if it has only been a couple of days, I think it would still be kind to come back and say thanks, if posters took the time to post to you......don't worry about forgetting about it, everyone gets busy and distracted.
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/29/2014 Jannabelle said:

I do but sometimes I also forget. My memory has been really bad lately and I started a thread about herbs and then completely forgot about it. By the time I remembered it was a couple of days old and I thought it would be stupid to comment on it and bring it up again.

I respectfully disagree, if it has only been a couple of days, I think it would still be kind to come back and say thanks, if posters took the time to post to you......don't worry about forgetting about it, everyone gets busy and distracted.

Thank you! I debated about what to do. Thanks for giving me you 2 cents because I will definitely respond in the future hearing you opinion on this subject.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I always intend to stay involved with a thread I started, especially if I asked for help. Buy I tend to forget about it and move on pretty quickly. This board isn't a job and I have a real life, a busy one. So, when I do check in, I get involved with new conversations and forget previous ones. Plus all the copying and bickering makes some threads impossible to read.
Honored Contributor

On 8/29/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Actually, I find the question to be a bit odd .... {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

When you start a thread, you are starting a CONVERSATION .... why wouldn't you stay involved?

.....because some of us forget we started a thread. I think there are two types of posters, those who take this board seriously and those of us who don't. We chat and follow conversations while we are ON the board but when we log off, we don't think about this board. Not one bit. It's not like this is real life....lol
Respected Contributor

I never start threads, but I will say that I think it is weird when the OP quotes and responds to every single person who posts. Hey, maybe that's the etiquette, but I think it's a bit much. If you've asked for opinions or advice, sure, say thanks to those who have responded, but to have a conversation with each and every respondent?
Valued Contributor

On 8/29/2014 Jannabelle said:

Thank you! I debated about what to do. Thanks for giving me you 2 cents because I will definitely respond in the future hearing you opinion on this subject.

You're welcome, you are a sweet poster, and really everyone forgets about their thread sometimes, lol.....you can come back to a thread you thought no one cared about and it will have 40 replies.

Honored Contributor

I don't think it's necessary to quote and respond to each individual, especially since so many people might post similar responses. It can get redundant. But a general acknowledgement will do.
Trusted Contributor

On 8/29/2014 chickenbutt said:

Thanks, Deb! I definitely am not here to make it about me but I do know that there are others here who feel the same so I'm representing that, just from my personal POV.

GoodStuff - opening one's heart doesn't necessarily mean telling every uber-personal detail of one's life, but I understand what you're saying. Smiley Happy I'm opening my heart, so to speak, any time I share my opinion or my feelings on a subject based on my own life experiences.

Sure, Chickenbutt -- that kind of "personal sharing" is fine. However, some people share the most personal, intimate kinds of experiences and questions here. I want to share those kinds of things with people I personally know in depth, trust, and who I believe can offer helpful wisdom. You might get good counsel from anonymous acquaintances here.......or not.