Super Contributor

Re: when you start a thread,

I try to come back and reply..........I don't blame OP's for not returning when threads go O/T or turn into hot arguments..........Would be nice if more posters started threads imo........
Honored Contributor

Some time people will take a thread the wrong way and then I will go back and clarify what I meant. I don't have the time or energy for this back and forth stuff, besides I'm not trying to change any ones mind. Also, I try not to start a post asking a question that needs tending.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:
On 8/28/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

It depends on how the thread evolves. When I start a thread, I try and converse with those who respond to my post. Many folks don't respond to the original post, they respond to another responder, and many times that response is something dragged over from another thread or a dispute from years back! At that point, more often than not I give up and move on.

You said pretty much what I would have said.

I also try very hard to respond to all posters when I am the OP.  I think it is rude not to.  If and and when it goes OT as, unfortunately, the excellent thread by Adelina on bullying did, I do not respond to those posts, even if not meant to be negative.  I like to keep the interesting and educational posts on track even when they are not mine.

There should be a way to extricate the OT posts into a new thread in order to maintain the spirit and integrity of an original topic that evokes a great deal of interest, as that post did.  As it stands as of yesterday, there were dozens of posts that veered off into totally OT discussions that went on for pages.  Now I see it's back to the original topic.  I find that post to be so intriguing and informative about human behavior, I hope it remains on the BB for a long time.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

There should be a way to extricate the OT posts into a new thread in order to maintain the spirit and integrity of an original topic that evokes a great deal of interest, as that post did.  As it stands as of yesterday, there were dozens of posts that veered off into totally OT discussions that went on for pages.  Now I see it's back to the original topic.  I find that post to be so intriguing and informative about human behavior, I hope it remains on the BB for a long time.

Hi Lilac Tree - I suggested this on that thread for you - perhaps you didn't see it. You can change your settings on how many posts you want to see on a page, so you don't have go on for "pages and pages" the O/T convo on that thread was only about 60 posts or so, it wasn't that bad. If you set your settings to 50 or 60 posts per page, you wouldn't have so many pages.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

Hi Lilac Tree - I suggested this on that thread for you - perhaps you didn't see it. You can change your settings on how many posts you want to see on a page, so you don't have go on for "pages and pages" the O/T convo on that thread was only about 60 posts or so, it wasn't that bad. If you set your settings to 50 or 60 posts per page, you wouldn't have so many pages.

I saw that post, Biancardi, I did not realize it was meant for me and I'm not quite sure what to do once I isolate the OT posts.  I hope no one gets insulted, there is nothing wrong with those posts. They just interrupt the flow of the OP. 

I did copy and paste the parts of the OP to my personal journals on Word, as I wanted to be sure I could always refer to them.

Thank you for your suggestion, I am sorry I missed that it was for me, and I will try it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Has anybody seen sylvia?  I haven't seen a post from her in a long time or else I'm looking the wrong way.

I hope all is going well with her - I miss her poems.  I know she posts later at night, too.

Heart

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I usually moderate as appropriate, when the board makes that function easy.  Going O/T is actually delightful in a way.  Kind of like real life.

Honored Contributor

Cakers3 wrote:

Has anybody seen sylvia?  I haven't seen a post from her in a long time or else I'm looking the wrong way.

I hope all is going well with her - I miss her poems.  I know she posts later at night, too.

Heart

Hi, @Cakers3!  Nice to see you!

I miss her, too.  I looked at her history, and she last posted on 7/8 so she's been around.

If you see this, @sylviahomeatlast, sending wishes to you, too!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Heart

I miss her, too.  I looked at her history, and she last posted on 7/8 so she's been around.

@Hi dooBdoo!  I posted to you a while back but I don't think you saw it.  Ok so now I'm see @ and that's another new one for me to learn.  ARGGH!!!!  LOL

Thanks for the update on Syliva.

Heart

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Cakers3 wrote:

dooBdoo wrote:

Cakers3 wrote:

Heart

Hi dooBdoo!  I posted to you a while back but I don't think you saw it.  Ok so now I'm see @ and that's another new one for me to learn.  ARGGH!!!!  LOL

Thanks for the update on Syliva.

Heart

I'm sorry, I missed it.  I've been "at sixes and and sevens" the past few weeks, sort of managing to see or post here and there but probably missing a lot.

You're welcome!  The "@" feature works sometimes, other times not so much but I keep trying in hopes the notifications will start triggering.  It's a great way to let someone know we've "spoken" to them.

Have a lovely afternoon/evening/weekend!Heart

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova