Super Contributor

Re: the story out of the Dominican Republic is really getting scary

The latest victim now is a 53 year old woman traveling by herself. They're saying she died of a heart attack. An autopsy was performed but no toxicology report would be ordered because her autopsy showed "no red flags". Her son was also told the toxicology machine was broken. Her family begged her not to go but she went anyway.

Something is definitely going on there. This is horrible.

Honored Contributor

Clearly this is serious. With so many beautiful places to travel, why would anyone choose the DR? I would rather pay more and stay safe. 

Respected Contributor

Tainted alcohol?

I remember this situation in 2017, could be the same (see below).  (Did all who die in Dom. Rep. drink something prior to their deaths?)

The family of a young woman who died after possibly drinking tainted alcohol is now suing the Mexican resort that served her. Abbey Conner drowned in a pool at an Iberostar hotel and resort in Riviera Maya after drinking while on vacation with her family in January 2017. Her family alleges that the resort knew the alcohol they gave the 20-year-old was "poisonous." 

Honored Contributor

I just read one resort was full of some sort of virus. They had a nurse on staff ,that charged them hundreds of dollars, and all she did ,was send them to the hospital. Plus ,she was more worried about getting paid ,than their health

Esteemed Contributor

The DR has always been unsafe & crime rate high for violent crimes. Most stay at “all inclusive resorts” which are economical and heavily guarded rarely venturing outside the resort. There are usually travel advisories related to DR & violent crime. The Caribbean may be considered luxurious to us but is actually third world. I was mugged in PR and my room vandalized in Jamaica. I’ve never been fearful living and working in NYC but I went to DR once & had no desire to return as I was very uncomfortable. I go to Anguilla yearly and tho the people are not wealthy, they are gentle & spiritual people. Anguilla boasted “no crime” for many years but even there a few murders have been committed by non Anguillans. The beaches in DR are nothing special and it may be economical but to me I’d rather go to beautiful islands with prettier, gentle beaches that are safer such as St Bart, Anguilla, Grand Cayman, Turk Caicos & Mustique. I’ve traveled the Caribbean since I’m 19 & now 75. DR is nothing special & I advise anyone traveling to the Caribbean to do your research & refer to the government website re advisories. Economy doesn’t trump safety.
Honored Contributor

@Stray, I enjoyed your post and agree it is not about the money. I would rather spend more money and go to Hawaii or a safer island in the Caribbean. I would not even consider the DR.

Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Clearly this is serious. With so many beautiful places to travel, why would anyone choose the DR? I would rather pay more and stay safe. 

You do not know where it is safe these days. Apparently you are not much of a traveler if you say that.  Remember what happened to 80+ people in Nice ,  gorgeous, glamorous French Riviera?!

I have been travelling to DR for 14 years and only had fantastic experience in my 5 star resort. Something crazy or criminal or both is going on.....

Remenber the young  girl that disappeared for good on that nice and expensive island of Aruba?

Esteemed Contributor

@SANNA :  I have been to both DR and Aruba (underwhelmed by both and won't be back).  My personal opinion is that someone has adulterated some of the liquor in the mini bars.  I was a picture of the way it is dispensed (at at least one resort).  There are huge dispensing bottle(s) on the door.  The more I think about this the more I'm sure that's what happened.

Respected Contributor

A family member of one of the deceased tourists was saying that the DR was pressuring him to have his loved one’s remains cremated, rather than transporting the body back to the U.S.  Maybe it’s just me, but that’s a huge red flag. 

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will never go there  for any reason. If you have a medical emergency, I shudder to think what type of care you will get.