Respected Contributor

Re: the story out of the Dominican Republic is really getting scary

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@suzyQ3 Well then, I guess you can throw some of the blame at me. Then again, I've seen resentment seep into many a persons' life and not just those dealing with tourists. I think it's unrealistic to not consider it as a possibility since there are many who act out all over the world against those they don't like/don't agree with/feel resentment towards (for whatever the reason). 

I don't have to leave my own neighborhood to see it in action.

Fair enough, @SahmIam . But you can see how one person's musing can lead to another person's thinking that this was in fact the case.

It still think that when it comes to a country with beautiful resorts surrounded by forms of poverty, such a supposition can sound rather colonialistic in tone.

Actually, I'd think the opposite.  What sounds colonialistic is the attitude that - oh I'm going to the nice resort where the people are only too happy to serve me.  AND I don't let the poverty bother me at all.  

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

@suzyQ3 Well then, I guess you can throw some of the blame at me. Then again, I've seen resentment seep into many a persons' life and not just those dealing with tourists. I think it's unrealistic to not consider it as a possibility since there are many who act out all over the world against those they don't like/don't agree with/feel resentment towards (for whatever the reason). 

I don't have to leave my own neighborhood to see it in action.

Fair enough, @SahmIam . But you can see how one person's musing can lead to another person's thinking that this was in fact the case.

It still think that when it comes to a country with beautiful resorts surrounded by forms of poverty, such a supposition can sound rather colonialistic in tone.

Actually, I'd think the opposite.  What sounds colonialistic is the attitude that - oh I'm going to the nice resort where the people are only too happy to serve me.  AND I don't let the poverty bother me at all.  

I can see that, @Isobel Archer  -- until anything bad starts happening. Then those supposedly happy people are now under scrutiny because of course they must harbor resentment.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

It is really awful and unsettling. I have been travelling there every year in the past 14 years and particularly to Gran Bahia Principe resort, although mine is Ambar ( adults) in Punta Cana. Always great! 

My question is why only Americans? Nothing happens there to Europeans? Strange...

Honored Contributor

@SANNA  maybe it has  and we don't know

Respected Contributor

But I am watching this issue on international forums too. And not signals from the others.... Maybe they do not care...

Honored Contributor

It has just recently come to the attention of the police here @SANNA ..so either it didn't happen ,or the haven't made a connection, or they are targeting Americans, or they are just lucky

Esteemed Contributor

Tonight’s news said it could be alcohol related. It showed dirty barrels, etc. I would think they would have checked that first because it’s happened in Mexico.

Honored Contributor

They couldn't @1Snickers  it seems all of the toxicology machines are broken...how convenient for them

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry  Sometimes it’s best to stay home, poor people!

I was by a pool in Hawaii and a nice man who lived there asked if I ate Sushi. I told him I would never eat raw fish. 

He said that was good because he and his wife had Sushi and that night their tongues were swollen, then limbs got numb. They went to the hospital and were told that it was a type of poisoning from reef fish used in Sushi. Something about fertilizer runoff.

With Haiti on the other end of the island it’s no telling what’s in that beautiful water!

Honored Contributor

I heard someone on the news say it may be bootleg liquor. Not sure I believe it though.