Valued Contributor

Re: the story out of the Dominican Republic is really getting scary

The same problems also occur in Mexico.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess wrote:
Friends went on a cruise out of Galveston and it stopped at Cancun and Belize....Belize has the highest crime rate per capita in the entire world...probably because it is a very small country by population. Three people on the cruise were robbed and one beaten while they were off the ship on an excursion. The cruise company flew all three of the victims and their families home as soon as they were well enough to go. Belize looks beautiful and not as touristy as Cancun so I once wanted to go there...not any more!

@lovesrecess, I was just on a cruise in April and Belize was one of the stops. However, it wasn't  the mainland of Belize.  We were at what is essentially a manufactured island for cruise ships called Harvest Cay.  As soon as you walk off the ship there  is a pool/beach area which is beautiful.  There were a lot of shops and a couple of restaurants.  Then we went back to the ship.  Whether anyone from our ship took the ferry over to mainland Belize, I have no idea.  Everyone we knew did excursions right on Harvest Cay.  

I know Haiti is on the Do Not Travel list on the state department's website but many cruises go to Haiti.  I'm not sure where they stop and if it's a manufactured island as well. 

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:
Friends went on a cruise out of Galveston and it stopped at Cancun and Belize....Belize has the highest crime rate per capita in the entire world...probably because it is a very small country by population. Three people on the cruise were robbed and one beaten while they were off the ship on an excursion. The cruise company flew all three of the victims and their families home as soon as they were well enough to go. Belize looks beautiful and not as touristy as Cancun so I once wanted to go there...not any more!

@lovesrecess, I was just on a cruise in April and Belize was one of the stops. However, it wasn't  the mainland of Belize.  We were at what is essentially a manufactured island for cruise ships called Harvest Cay.  We walked off the ship and the went right to the pool/beach area which is beautiful.  There were a lot of shops and a couple of restaurants.  Then we went back to the ship.  Whether anyone from our ship took the ferry over to mainland Belize, I have no idea.  

I know Haiti is on the Do Not Travel list on the state department's website but many cruises go to Haiti.  I'm not sure where they stop and if it's a manufactured island as well. 

Yes in Haiti Royal Caribbean has a private beach, not occupied by locals and run by the cruise ship. It is segregated from every day life and highly built up for the cruises.

Honored Contributor

IDK. There is something about manufactured islands solely for cruisers so that they don't have to see anything else that bothers me.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Report now says there have been 9 deaths on DR under suspicious circumstances...and now a group of recent HS grads are violently ill while on a class trip to the DR.....why didn’t they cancel the trip?