Respected Contributor

Re: stress test - what can I expect

You DON'T have to use a treadmill, ask your Dr. to request a Nuclear Stress Test...a drug is given to speed your heart up while you're laying on a bed hooked up with leads to a machine. The test from start to finish will be explained as you go & honestly of all the tests I had for a diagnosis, it was the easiest & pain free. The nurses told me hardly anyone runs on a treadmill, the NST is perferred so ask your Dr. & have the test done that way...I wish you the best @dennylilly.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

You DON'T have to use a treadmill, ask your Dr. to request a Nuclear Stress Test...a drug is given to speed your heart up while you're laying on a bed hooked up with leads to a machine. The test from start to finish will be explained as you go & honestly of all the tests I had for a diagnosis, it was the easiest & pain free. The nurses told me hardly anyone runs on a treadmill, the NST is perferred so ask your Dr. & have the test done that way...I wish you the best @dennylilly.

That's a Lexiscan Nuclear Stress Test. Personally, I hated the feeling of the drug they used to speed up my heart and I would never agree to ever have another one.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

That's a Lexiscan Nuclear Stress Test. Personally, I hated the feeling of the drug they used to speed up my heart and I would never agree to ever have another one.

For me it was super easy & if you do have a problem a drug can be given that takes care of it quickly, it was offered to me after the test but I didn't need it. Sorry you had a bad experience but if I need to be tested again the NST is what I'll chose. Be well.

Esteemed Contributor

To avoid walking with my hubby I pretended to be short of breath.  Dumb me.  He told the doctor and I ended up with a stress test, the one with the chemicals in my vein.  I  decided against the treadmill version which would take 4 hours.  This version was barely an hour. Long story short I am fine.  I was worried over nothing and I realized my hubby was just looking out for me.  

Regular Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Did you read all of the resplies on your thread in Wellness @dennylilly ? Quite a few responses.

A stress test will not necessarily be difficult because if you have trouble walking on the treadmill or feel any pain, it is usually stopped.

No I haven't I will check it out.  I think I forgot about it to be honest :{

Esteemed Contributor

I'll leave out the background on me and the tests that I've had, but will give you my best advice. And that is to try and relax, and let the nurse know that you are very nervous about the test (although they'll probably be able to see that). Also, let them know if you feel really stressed while you're on the treadmill. I know that some here have said it's a piece of cake....it was difficult for me and certainly not what I considered easy. The good thing is that the nurses took care of me and really helped me a lot. My end result turned out well - I found a different cardiologist that I was very comfortable with - he wanted to try medication first to control my extra heartbeats. The medication worked perfectly and I've had no problems since then. I'll continue to be on the medication until or if it stops doing the job for me. Good luck to you, and let us know how you're doing afterwards.

Regular Contributor

@dennylilly wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Did you read all of the resplies on your thread in Wellness @dennylilly ? Quite a few responses.

A stress test will not necessarily be difficult because if you have trouble walking on the treadmill or feel any pain, it is usually stopped.

No I haven't I will check it out.  I think I forgot about it to be honest :{

Just looked and I HAD NOT forgot about it LOL  Lots of help there too Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@dennylilly  I had one years ago, but have refused any others as I found a test, heart ultrasound, that shows how the heart, etc, is working, no stress, no pain.

I don't need a stress test, I have enough stress in my life and the fact that I am still breathing, proves I can handle stress.  I do not understand why an older person has to undergo a stress test, no point in my opinion, one is pushed to the point of extreme stress for no reason, in my opinion.  

And what medical school did you graduate from? An ultrasound is not a full diagnostic for heart disease, just FYI. 

Respected Contributor

The waiting part was the stress element in the test for me. I waited for hours. The treadmill part was a piece of cake. I was so stressed and worked up when I finally got on the treadmill that my pulse was already fast enough for what they wanted.  (Not super-fast either--don't worry they will drive it way up.)

The doctor and the techs were calm and kind. Once I got out of the bus-station-like anteroom---there must have been forty people in it--I knew I was in good hands. That was twelve years ago. Heart issues run in my family but I heard good news. I hope you will hear good news as well. 

Trusted Contributor

@dennylilly

Everything's going to be fine. You're going to get answers. And remember what I told you before...knowledge is power. If there's something going on, you'll be treated for it. And if there's nothing going on, then maybe it's anxiety & you'll learn coping mechanisms. Either way, you're going to get answers & that's the first step in the right direction!😊❤