Trusted Contributor

RIP Legendary HSN Clearance Section

I guess all good things must come to an end. Ever since the merger with QVC, HSN has stopped having their great Clearance pricing. Items go on clearance, but they stay at the same price literally for months! I remember when they would mark merchandise down about 3 weeks until they hit rock bottom pricing. I once got a top that was originally $114 for $14---literally $100 less!

I loved my 17 years of being a loyal HSN shopper but they are losing me as a customer. Now all I'm really buying is Andrew Lessman Secure and that's available on his website. They're phasing out Elysee and their fashion isn't affordable enough.

I just don't understand the path they're going on. Why do this and lose loyal customers? Do you think they've gained new ones? I know they want to attract a younger demographic. (Hey I started when i was 17 so what they did originally worked for me!)

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Trusted Contributor

Re: RIP Legendary HSN Clearance Section

[ Edited ]

@JBKO wrote:

I guess all good things must come to an end. Ever since the merger with QVC, HSN has stopped having their great Clearance pricing. Items go on clearance, but they stay at the same price literally for months! I remember when they would mark merchandise down about 3 weeks until they hit rock bottom pricing. I once got a top that was originally $114 for $14---literally $100 less!

I loved my 17 years of being a loyal HSN shopper but they are losing me as a customer. Now all I'm really buying is Andrew Lessman Secure and that's available on his website. They're phasing out Elysee and their fashion isn't affordable enough.

I just don't understand the path they're going on. Why do this and lose loyal customers? Do you think they've gained new ones? I know they want to attract a younger demographic. (Hey I started when i was 17 so what they did originally worked for me!)

I'm guessing you started when there weren't any or many internet options. 

No 17-year old is watching QVC or HSN today. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thats not all.  Clearance QVC and AS IS QVC are on a steady rise. 

And the products being offered in the clothing line or lines have steadily gone up.  

I am a bargain shopper and a practical shopper.  I am not going to pay $219 for a purse and $77 for a pair of shoes.  No way.  They can peddle it any way they want I AM NOT BUYING. 

Respected Contributor

@JBKO QVC screwing things up ...just are they are ruining their own network

Esteemed Contributor

My feeling of shoppers who must carefully monitor their budgets (and regardless of financial status most of us have some kind of budget set for our retail shopping), I'll borrow a piece of Marla Wynne's shopping advice: shop smarter and buy less.  Pay the asking price, but choose pieces which will serve you (possibly) multiple days in colors that coordinate with many pieces in your wardrobe.  Use the same theory for accessories like shoes and handbags.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Someone on this board called this back when Q first bought HSN.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@JBKO  Agree 100%!  I used to get "alerts" about price reductions on a fairly regular basis.  Now much less frequently.  Unfortunately, IMO, HSN has become more like QVC, e.g. $5.50 s/h on shoes when it used to be free.  Too bad.  Now I go to the HSN website mainly to play the games--LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

Have you noticed since the merger that HSN prices are more like the Q now? Now they also have those weird prices like $39.04? HSN always had prices either like $39.00 or $39.50

Honored Contributor

HSN now also has as-is but it is very, very limited.  It's almost impossible to get anything as-is but the prices are generally very good.

I noticed HSN now has the same ridiculous clearance prices as QVC.  A couple dollars off are considered a clearance.  A few months ago there were pages of clothing on HSN marked clearance and it was literally 5 CENTS off. I have to think that was a glitch or something.

I watch very little HSN. Even less than QVC now.  It seems they have more electronic shows than ever before and if I do see clothing, 9 times out of 10 it's Diane Gilman.  

HSN doesn't offer coupons like they used to and they don't have free s/h like they used to either.  I still think HSN is going to be gone.  

Honored Contributor

unfortunately, the more solvent and successful company bought and took charge of the less successful. 

obviously they are going to go with what works