Regular Contributor

Re: stress test - what can I expect

I had my stress test today.  I guess if they let you go home after it is done then that is the first part of good news.  Then you will receive a call from your doctor and the sooner you receive the call the worse the news is? Well this is what I managed to get from the people administering the test.  I will wait and try not to worry.

It was OK for me.  I am feeling terrible with whatever is wrong with me in my chest.  I am pretty sure it is the cause of everything. After calling my DR regarding this, she gave me the name of a gastro doctor who come to find out did the scope on me 3 years ago because I have GERD and this was something that needed to be done. At this time i was diagnosed with Barretts diease.  I wil need a scope in three years which is THIS YEAR in September! I had forgotten that I had to go back in three years. Anyway I described my sypmtoms and the nurse said they sound like what can happen with Barretts and they got me an appointment for next week to have another scope done.  Hopefully this is my problem and it can be treated.  I sure am a piece of work!  Keeping you informed is a little embarassing that I have all this going on and feel so good most of the time that apparently I am not keeping up with all of it.

Glad I can get in quick and hope this explains it.  Medicine can treat this problem I was told.  IF it get too bad it can cause esophageal cancer.  Hopefully mine isnt that bad.

I have gone from headaches, then to possibly anxiety and as time went on the chest stuff seems more like acid reflux.  Meanwhile I have been cleared of any brain stuff and found out I have sleep apnea.  I have had MRI, chest xray, cat scan, stress test and sleep study. All in the past two months!  A lifetime worth of medical stuff for me lol!! Oh and a scope next week (can't think of the proper name sorry).

Thanks for still being there and reading my posts.  All your input is appreciated, even the few that think I'm nuts to ask for medical help on a message board.  The rest of you seem to understand that I am doing all that my DR tells me and I am SEEING my doctor. You understand the reason it is helpful to talk to others about their experiences.

Thanks again...

Trusted Contributor

@dennylilly

You got through today. You're stronger than you think! The scoping is called an endoscopy or EGD. You'll be anesthetized & you'll be fine. Have you been taking something like Prilosec or Prevacid or something like that for the Barretts?
Regular Contributor

@bobby5 wrote:
@dennylilly

You got through today. You're stronger than you think! The scoping is called an endoscopy or EGD. You'll be anesthetized & you'll be fine. Have you been taking something like Prilosec or Prevacid or something like that for the Barretts?

Yes I have been taking Previcid for many years.  I did have an Endoscopy previouslly, three years ago.  I had a colonoscopy at the same time.  I was more concerned with the colonoscopy results at that time and I guess I took the Barretts diagnosis too lightly. Didn't even realize I was due for another EGD until I called today.

Trusted Contributor

@dennylilly

Well the important thing is that you've been taking the Prevacid. That helps heal the damage from the acid reflux. Maybe they'll just find that you need something a bit stronger. Hang in there.👍
Honored Contributor

@dennylilly 

Be aware the Prevacid can cause issues, I took it long term and finally stopped after 20 years, it turns out that the prevacid caused my stomach lining not to allow iron to penetrate causing me all sorts of issues

@dennylilly wrote:

@bobby5 wrote:
@dennylilly

Yes I have been taking Previcid for many years.  I did have an Endoscopy previouslly, three years ago.  I had a colonoscopy at the same time.  I was more concerned with the colonoscopy results at that time and I guess I took the Barretts diagnosis too lightly. Didn't even realize I was due for another EGD until I called today.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Regular Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@dennylilly 

Be aware the Prevacid can cause issues, I took it long term and finally stopped after 20 years, it turns out that the prevacid caused my stomach lining not to allow iron to penetrate causing me all sorts of issues

@dennylilly wrote:

@bobby5 wrote:
@dennylilly

I know. My husband was on Nexium and he is off it due to the danger. He has GERD but not Barretts.  He thinks he will be able to control his acid reflux with a change in diet.  I am worried about the Previcid but I don't think I can risk not being on it.  I would like to try changing my diet and that may be possible and get off the meds.  It is between a rock and a hard place.  No meds and get cancer or take meds and get a bunch of other stuff.  I will be trying to find a solution.  It seems ALL of my health problems could be cured or greatly improved if I could just take better care of myself with a good diet and exercise. 

Honored Contributor

@dennylilly 

I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus(a precursor to Esophageal Cancer) many years ago. For 2 years I had an Endoscopy every 3 months/next 3 years an Endo every 6 months. Then an Endo every year, which I am still having Annually.

I have been taking Nexium 40mg capsules twice daily ever since. I had my most recent Endoscopy last April and the Barrett's has not changed. It is still under control. 

By brother-in-law died from complications of Esophageal Cancer. His Gastroenterologist told him, that had he went for an Endo sooner, he may have been able to intercede before it reached his end diagnosis.

I have been where you are since 2002, but I  have had 2 heart attacks. My hope is all turns out well for you with everything. This I will tell you: Look Optimistically at your issues and it will serve you better than "Why me"?

I know because I went from my worst physical fitness condition to now my best. Sure, I  still have the issues, but I  function daily at a very high physical and mental dynamic.

Wishing you the best,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

hckynut-You are so kind to share all your experiences.  I enjoy reading your posts because you give a wealth of good information and experience.  Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

I've only had the thalluim stress test. I had to have it after I had an electrical problem with my heart and had a pacemaker put in. They needed to find out if I had any blockage, but they didn't want me on a treadmill for fear I might fall and pull out the wires to my heart before they secured themselves. The thallium test was only about 10 minutes, but wow it was intense. I passed though. My dad, on the other hand, did not pass the treadmill test, not because there was blockage, but because his heart muscles were just too weak.