Respected Contributor

I think we all have memories that bring a small sadness to the holidays this time of year.

I miss going shopping with my one sister on a crisp sunny December day and going out to eat.

Share your memories if you want to.

Honored Contributor

I know people always say this, but my mom was my best friend. We loved the holidays, planning, shopping, decorating, just being together.  I was just decorating my tree, and found an ornament that reminded me of her, and I had a little cry. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

I seem to get sad when I think of how my 6 grandchildren have grown.  I loved all the stocking stuffers and how excited they were to open their gifts.  All grown now and their Christmas lists consist mostly of gift cards.

We do stilll have tradition of taking a group pix of them with whatever holiday costume I purchase.  Headbands, hats, glasses.  Whatever.  Happy Holidays to all!

Trusted Contributor

I miss helping my beloved maman in the kitchen and hearing my beloved father sing.  My parents taught me to appreciate, honor the moment.  Whenever we were together, we celebrated.  

Valued Contributor

I miss Christmas Eves with extended family members in a small town. They had a huge house. We stayed a couple doors down the street in my grandmother's house.  My other grandparents were close by.  I attended midnight mass with all of them in a beautiful church. Those of us surviving are still very close. 

Yours is a sweet post, @lovescats.   

Esteemed Contributor

@lovescats 

I've had to battle back depression more than ususal the last few months.

There are more things I miss than not.

Thought of my mom yesterday and how she used to go through so much trouble to decorate our house.  We had a huge picture window, and it was like she was decorating a department store picture window.

My sis and I used to take the bus into St. Louis to shop.  It cost $1 to ride and there was one bus stop in our tiny little town.  We loved looking at the stores during the holidays.

She's still with me, but in Northern, NJ, so no shopping trips.

So much has passed....I do get sad thinking of all the years and people gone by.

Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian I must tell you, I love the word "maman." As a young girl I began reading lots of books that had French words and phrases so I got a Berlitz book of French vocabulary and began looking them up.

I'm 71 now and still enjoy seeing French words and phrases when reading. Hope to see more from you.

Honored Contributor

I think, as we age and start losing people, we all have those feelings.  For me, it's my mother.  She passed away 15 years ago and I think of her every day of my life.  I especially miss her at this time of the year.  Thanksgiving and Christmas were our time.  We cooked together, decorated together, shopped together.  She liked to give cookies, mini banana bread and mini gingerbread to people for Christmas gifts and she and I baked up a storm.  Christmas is fun and wonderful, it's my favorite time of the year but it has not been the same since I lost my mother.

Honored Contributor

@Terrywu 

I love the costume idea!  It must be so much fun.  I'm going to keep that in mind for when my grands get a little older.  

Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkids  Merci, mon petit chou!  I greatly appreciate your comment as it touched my heart.  She was the best and I miss her greatly.  Thank you for your kindness and for sharing your joy in French words.  I love it.  Have a wonderful day.