Honored Contributor

Re: front load versus top load

@crazything   I bought a Miele front loader, had always had a top loader, about five years ago, also bought the raised piece with a drawer so I don't have to bend down low.  It has been fine, also bought the dryer and raised piece at the same time.  These are supposed to last twenty years, will see.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

The way our laundry is set up. it would be very inconvenient to leave the door open on a front loader.

Ditto here. Our tiny utility room is a pass-through to the garage. It's hard enough getting through it with two doors close together to navigate. Leaving a washing machine door open wouldn't work.

There's also the issue of length of wash cycle. Our top loader takes 15-20 minutes for a load. Some front loaders take around an hour. 

Honored Contributor

Top load for me, I would never have a front load. Mine now still has agitator, my clothes come out clean and in perfect condition. 

Honored Contributor

If I were buying, I would want a top load with all the great features of gentle cycle,  short cycle, etc.  I have used both (in apts. I rented) and I still prefer the top load.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I've heard great things about Speed Queen.  My problem with them is they are too small.  I need a larger capacity.

Esteemed Contributor

I much prefer a top load machine. However, my laundry room is quite small and has a sink. I could not fit full size machines side x side. Had to go with a front load washer and stacked the dryer on top.

Purchased the LG models and have had no mildew problems. I do leave the washer door/detergent drawer open when not in use.

Honored Contributor

Re: my post re: plastic drums..........

That was years ago when I read the info.

I'm now thinking that plastic drums now-a-days are treated to have anti-microbial, anti-mildew properties.

Everyone:  Enjoy your washers, and the best of luck always.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Speed queen top loader,love the one i have.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I have an LG front loader and really like.  It gets my clothes super clean and is not hard on clothing.  

My clothes still look like brand new, whereas when I had a top load washer it wore out the clothes. 

I leave the front load washer door open and detergent drawer open when not in use to air out.  I haven't had any problems.

Honored Contributor

We moved into a home in which we had NO OPTION except a front load, and I dreaded the thought of it.

I had left a previous Sears machine that was the best I’d had in 40 years of marriage, and thought I’d never find anything I’d like as well again.

I WAS WRONG!

My “new” LG is equipped with a magnetized door that keeps it open an inch when it’s not in use. Problem solved! I use only scent free laundry products, and I’ve NEVER had any off odors of any kind.

It’s also a stacker that does quilts, full loads of queen sized bed linens, and HUGE loads of clothes WITH EASE.

No agitator, low water consumption, EVERY SINGLE THING I DIDN’T WANT, LOVE IT!