Esteemed Contributor

Re: front load versus top load

I have a front loader.  I am only 5 feet tall and don't want to have to climb in to get my clothes when they all heavy and wet.  I bought a top loading freezer for my garage which I dearly love but getting food out is a real chore.

My front loader does a good job as does my front load dryer.  I imagine it is just a matter of preference.  Both of mine are Maytags and they are about 7 years old.  

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I don't know anyone that likes their front loaders.

Me personally would never own one unless there was no other alternative available because you can't leave anything to soak.

Yes you do @CelticCrafter, you know me!

Read my love letter to my machine! I “think” mine will soak, but since getting used to it, I’ve never needed to soak anything, blood stains, baby p**p, grass stains, mildew....I pre treat with the detergent and by-by stains.

I had some tough times deciding to buy mine, but as you mentioned “no other alternative”.

Honored Contributor

@peachesncream wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

The way our laundry is set up. it would be very inconvenient to leave the door open on a front loader.

Ditto here. Our tiny utility room is a pass-through to the garage. It's hard enough getting through it with two doors close together to navigate. Leaving a washing machine door open wouldn't work.

There's also the issue of length of wash cycle. Our top loader takes 15-20 minutes for a load. Some front loaders take around an hour. 

I don't know how many washers have the magnet door opening feature, but our set is in a hallway, a terrible location for a laundry set, but after over 2 years, it’s still my best friend!

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I have a front loader.  I am only 5 feet tall and don't want to have to climb in to get my clothes when they all heavy and wet.  I bought a top loading freezer for my garage which I dearly love but getting food out is a real chore.

My front loader does a good job as does my front load dryer.  I imagine it is just a matter of preference.  Both of mine are Maytags and they are about 7 years old.  

I am 5'1". And I have a stool by the washer. I have to climb up on the stool to try and get the clothes out of the washer. And sometimes still have to pull myself into the washer to get a stray sock. 

I end up going to the laundromat more often because my washer can't handle bulky loads. So I use a front loader at the launderomat. I really like them. They are Commercial Speed Queen. Makes you wonder why washers made for the house use are such a pain to deal with.

Honored Contributor

@peachesncream wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

The way our laundry is set up. it would be very inconvenient to leave the door open on a front loader.

Ditto here. Our tiny utility room is a pass-through to the garage. It's hard enough getting through it with two doors close together to navigate. Leaving a washing machine door open wouldn't work.

There's also the issue of length of wash cycle. Our top loader takes 15-20 minutes for a load. Some front loaders take around an hour. 

@peachesncream   For average wash, about twenty-five minutes, the longer cycles are for very soiled items in my front loader.

Respected Contributor

in 2010 I bought a Samsung washer and dryer top of the line front loaders. They were sharp looking and cleaned the clothes well. I did get the mold around the rubber gasket. Despite wiping it dry and keeping the door open. What ended it though was when the washer leaked, I had a repair and they it leaked again. They guy could not find the problem. The dryer broke shortly after that . I replaced them with Whirlpool top loaders and I am happy. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could never put my own things in a commercial machine in a laundromat again.  When I had to use one while living in a tiny apartment, I knew a guy who did repairs on machines in laundry rooms and laundromats. After he told me what he encountered doing that, I never used a machine other than my own. I also was creeped out by finding weirdos pulling my unmentionables out of the machine right as the cycle ended when I was coming thru the door to collect them. Eww.

Respected Contributor

I have a front load and would not buy another. I can’t wait until this one konks out. In my experience they stink and have trouble draining. 

Esteemed Contributor

These threads are like the to dye or go grey ones.  No resolution.

i vote for front loader, love mine.

Honored Contributor

I love my front loaders....not so hard on my back and no standing on my head to retrieve what’s at the bottom of the tub...and if I need to soak something, there is a soak option; it soaks for the time I set, then rinses, drains and spins..depending on what options I want.