Trusted Contributor

Re: anyone live in deep east texas ?

I lived in Austin for a while, went to Galveston, and the water was brown.  I don't know what the story is on that, but I'm originally from an area with beautiful, clear lakes so none of us would go in the water.  I heard that you have to go to Padre Island for clear water.  

Respected Contributor

Gosh @kittyloo 

We lived way  down on the Border, Mission Tx part time due to work for 5 years & I love Tx...(we live permanetly back in Az now)

I am not too familiar with East Tx, (there is alot of East Tx) lol, 

maybe if you check back in you can specify an area..

I think the San Antonio area is just beautiful, rolling green hills, lots to do..I would not want to live in the Houston/Austin area though.

Every area has some kind of bugs, etc, Az does too..The people are so friendly in Tx & we looked forward to every work trip we took..So many beautiful lakes, we were very happy with our time there...Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I have never been to Texas but a friend of mine moved to Austin when she retired.   She had been living in Huntington Beach, CA.  Her only daughter lived in Austin and the cost of living was so much less.  She lasted 2 years.  Sold her house and moved back to Huntington Beach.   She said is the weather and the bugs!

Trusted Contributor

@BlueFinch 

I enjoyed reading your post about Texas.

My mother was born in Texas and came to CA for grad school

In Berkeley.  She had graduated from North Texas Teachers'

College in Denton (Now N. Texas St University?).

My mother met my father at CAL and never went back.  Her mother, my grandmother, came to live with us.

My mother died when I was just 22, and my father soon remarried.

I have always been interested in Texas and finding my mother's roots.  Doing Ancestry.com has been helpful.

My mother had very conservative views, and she ended up in one of the most liberal areas of the nation (Berkeley).  My dad was a native CA (3rd gen) and was very different. 

But I value so much about my mother that I feel came from her roots.  She was hard working with a can-do attitude.  She had an excellent vocabulary along with some sayings that must have come from Texas.  I wish I could remember some of them.

I am a grandmother now, so I'm less interested in traveling than I was in my younger days.  It is funny that I've traveled the world, but I've never been to Texas. 

On a lighter note:  we got a dog from a rescue in Whitewright, TX

almost three years ago.  He was flown out to SFO.  He is the most wonderful dog!  I have many unanswered conversations with him, including lots of questions about Texas.

Honored Contributor

@Tadaki wrote:

I lived in Austin for a while, went to Galveston, and the water was brown.  I don't know what the story is on that, but I'm originally from an area with beautiful, clear lakes so none of us would go in the water.  I heard that you have to go to Padre Island for clear water.  

@Tadaki.  They say the water in Galveston is so brown and dirty b e cause so many rivers and bayous empty into it.  I'd never swim or wade in that water.  Went to Corpus Christi area once.  Water was not clear and there were globs of oil in the water.  Ruined bathing suits and feet were impossible to clean.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

dh and i are thinking of relocating there.  wanting to get some opnions, pros and cons.  

specifically,  bugs, weather, flooding, anything else.

this would be a really big move for us, (from Oregon), and yeah,, scary as well.  Just trying to be informed.

Oregon has passed some crazy laws lately, and it's gonna be getting wierd i think. time to vamoose.

@kittyloo 

My first question to you is why "deep east Texas'?

Have you already looked in that area and have you and your DH selected any particular city/area?

I am not sure what you mean by "deep east Texas" so without specifics it can be hard to give you definitive opinions.

Texas is so huge you are going to find pros and cons in any area.

It depends upon what your lifestyle includes and how comfortable you will be in heavily populated areas vs. areas that are more rural and/or small town.

We are from the Northeast (over 50 years there) and moving here was a challenge but we adapted quickly. We are not coastal although we have visited several spots. 

I wouldn't jump to any conclusion about the larger cities such as Austin, either.  Nor would I assume anything political about this state.  I will go no further on that issue.

If you are looking to escape laws that you are not comfortable living with, you have to look hard at any state before considering a move.  I would not move for any one particular reason because you will find, and I guarantee this, that laws can change and all laws are not agreeable.

Personally we are content in south central Texas away from the coast. Plenty of concerts, sports, Broadway on tour plays, diverse cultures that are showcased each year with the Texas Institute of Texan Cultures, museums, the list goes on.

Same as other metro areas.

If you are a "foodie" you are going to find everything to please the palate.

Yes, summers can be hot; cooler temps do not start to prevail until at least November. 

Flash flooding is a concern when it rains but simply follow the "Turn Around Don't Drown". 

Yes, no state income tax and the state sales tax is 6.25%.  However, localities can add up to another 2%.  I believe Oregon has no sales tax?

Again, compare and contrast based on your finances.

I am assuming you are not looking for employment so retiring here can be as easy as you want or as busy as you want.

Healthcare is another issue so you really need to research your medical plans and how they will compare.  While DH and I are very happy with ours, there are issues in this state that could certainly use improvement.

Opinions are varied because you have native Texans and transplants.

I wouldn't base a move on one or the other.  You have to consider what you want for lifestyle, and you will really, and I strongly emphasize this,  need to let go of Oregon and embrace what is here.  It's a "whole 'nother country".

You will find the uber-rich and the uber-poor; you will find the homeless, drug use, abuse, the hungry, and all the social concerns as you will anywhere.

And you will not see parades of snakes slithering down the streets, either.  LOL

One final word: Don't Mess With Texas was originally started to reduce roadside littering.  Most people outside of the state think it has to do with pride and bluster  but the slogan has earned a plaque on Madison Ave. Walk of Fame and a place in the Advertising Hall of Fame.  (That's New York, y'all.)

Misconceptions about Texas abound but it is never what outsiders believe.  We certainly learned very quickly that what we thought about Texas was wrong on many issues.

For us, south central Texas works and the coast does not. Neither would we be happy in Houston, Dallas, or Austin.

If you can, I would suggest a trip to where you are thinking of moving before making any decision.

But I do recommend south-central myself and most of my post is about that area.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

What a comprehensive, balanced post, @Cakers3 ,  full of useful ideas for anyone considering relocation.  Nice of you to do such a thorough job of informing!

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom  Those drugs would make anyone leave...it's really sad to see that happen.  I can't imagine how some of these things pass into law.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

What a comprehensive, balanced post, @Cakers3 ,  full of useful ideas for anyone considering relocation.  Nice of you to do such a thorough job of informing!

@Oznell 

I have to agree.  Thank you, again, @Cakers3.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in South Central Texas....East Texas is more hot and humid and subject to hurricanes.

Yes there are bugs..but doesn't everywhere have them.  I am not battling swarms of bugs---yes, there's fire ants, and occasionally I see a big roach that lives outside, sow bugs, crickets in the fall, migration of butterflies, an occasional spider--- but its not like we have plagues of locust nor marching armies of insects---maybe in East Texas they have more mosquitoes....I havent really even seen a housefly in long time...   @Cakers3 @MamaWick   are you bothered by plagues of bugs????  Now my sister had a sugar ant problem (living in new construction-easily remedied)

But the cost of living is cheap no State income tax gas is cheap. East Texas has spindly pine trees there's a nice state park there...Lots of businesses moving to Texas lots of opportunities

Maybe Austin or San Antonio would be more to your liking..we have some rolling hills and wonderful springs with beautiful native Texas wildflowers. Just get through 4 months of summer with your A/C (June through September are the worst months---east Texas longer summer weather)...but its no different than those that hunker down up north for winter for all those months......

San Antonio is known as a big city with a small town heart people are friendly and caring, interesting multicultural city

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”