Honored Contributor

Blink out door camera

[ Edited ]

Are they good,can you see them , how far does the view go?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I have four of them. Three are outside and in good working order. One is by the front door, one by the side door, and one by the patio door. 

So far we have not had any problems with any of them and you set them up to the view you want. The videos are clear and I have the Blink app on my phone.

Honored Contributor

I'm interested in this, too.  I've been trying to decide how to set them up.  I wonder if the batteries really last two years.  @riley1  how long have you had yours?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack - the batteries in mine are just over a year old - last I checked they were fine.

Honored Contributor

Re: Blink out door camera

[ Edited ]

I have a tracfone, so don't know if this can be set up on it.How far does the view go,i want to see if any wild animals are out in my yard,worry about coyotes.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The battery life varies with how often the cameras are tripped. I have one over my back door, one over my front door and one over my garage door so they get tripped a lot. My cameras eat batteries like they’re candy...about 2-3 months they need changed. 

The they also go through periods where one of the cameras won’t trip. Currently it’s my back door one but before that it was the front door one. All of them have done it multiple times. You can drop in on them for the live view but don’t trip. And they’ll do it for months at a time.

They’re just meh for me. 2.5/5

EDIT- I've had mine for about 2 years. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I dislike these, intensely.  I didn't purchase them.  My husband did and he's not one to do research, which is unfortunate.

If I were to rate them it would be a 1 out of 5 - barely.

Sometimes they work.  Sometimes they don't.  I have them on my phone and my husband was never able to get them on his iPhone.

One of the things that is a drag is that if you and your phone are away from the house you won't get anything until you get home, if you do.  He said that when he watched a presentation they told him the would.  I told him that they lied.

Another thing is that, no matter how long I have them set, most of the videos are 4 seconds.   You can be out in the driveway, right in front of one of them, dancing a jig for 30 seconds and you will probably get 4 to 8 seconds of the movement.  Sometimes none.

As stated in previous post, the battery life varies.   That part does make sense so I don't dog them for that.

Also, one of the ones I have doesn't catch any movement at all unless it's just a little gust of wind.   So you look and see nobody there but the bit of wind that moved past.  It worked part of the time at first.   Battery fine.  Don't know what's wrong with it except that it just sukks more than the rest of them.  

We have 5 of them around the house.   I don't feel one iota safer, so it's a good thing I keep things locked up.  Smiley Happy

ETA - I forgot to say:  That time a guy came onto our property, jumped the fence and went around the side of the house to the back yard - there was not a single video of him picked up and he passed THREE of the cameras and was in range of the fourth.   Nothing.

Frequent Contributor

Ok, so I am getting turned off to Blink.  I wonder if Ring (or another brand) is any better.  Anyone?

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt , Thanks ,i don't need any more problems with stuff in my life ,good to know.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@chickenbutt , Thanks ,i don't need any more problems with stuff in my life ,good to know.

Glad to help.    I don't take lightly doing negatives about products so when I do, I feel pretty strongly.    

When I told him how awfully they worked and that, if it were me, I wouldn't keep them but he has become the kind of person who just doesn't want to hear what he doesn't want to hear.  Once he put them up (with my help), there was no way he was taking them down.