Respected Contributor

anyone live in deep east texas ?

dh and i are thinking of relocating there.  wanting to get some opnions, pros and cons.  

specifically,  bugs, weather, flooding, anything else.

this would be a really big move for us, (from Oregon), and yeah,, scary as well.  Just trying to be informed.

Oregon has passed some crazy laws lately, and it's gonna be getting wierd i think. time to vamoose.

Honored Contributor

Re: anyone live in deep east texas ?

@kittyloo 

I don't blame you, Oregon's recent decision to decriminalize "hard drugs", would make me want to move too.

That's the craziest thing I ever heard of.

Oregon Decriminalizes Possession of Hard Drugs (webmd.com)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Regular Contributor

I live in southeast Texas. As you probably know our big worry is hurricanes and the flooding that may come with it. This past year was awful but we don't usually see that many storms in a season.Otherwise, its hot and humid in summer, but mild cold in winter. Mosquitos in summer, roaches also love it here.But if you like boating or fishing on lakes or going down to Galveston to the ocean, going into Houston or even Austin for shopping this is a convienient spot. Also, just a hop and you are in Louisiana for some good cajun eating.

It's hot, hot,hot in summer though, be ready for that.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm about 40 minutes north of San Antonio area.  We have scorpions and snakes.  Flooding...yes, depending on the area.  Bugs, yes...mosquitoes, flies.  We have spiders.  

Hot in the summer, but that is why Mr Carrier invented a/c.  We love Texas.  We specifically chose this state to retire after living the previous 14 years in Wisconsin and prior to that, all our lives in Missouri. 

No state income tax which is a huge plus!  

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

I'm about 40 minutes north of San Antonio area.  We have scorpions and snakes.  Flooding...yes, depending on the area.  Bugs, yes...mosquitoes, flies.  We have spiders.  

Hot in the summer, but that is why Mr Carrier invented a/c.  We love Texas.  We specifically chose this state to retire after living the previous 14 years in Wisconsin and prior to that, all our lives in Missouri. 

Hi, Mama, we have friends who retired in San Marcos in an over 55 community called Kissing Tree, are you near them ?

Honored Contributor

I lived in Houston 35 years and deep East Texas is similar but worse and without gulf breezes.  It's flat, heavily wooded, hot and humid with plentiful mosquitoes + cockroaches including huge palmetto bugs and other insects and venomous rattlesnakes, coral snakes and copperheads.  I wouldn't live there on a bet!  I went to a lot of trouble to get out of the area.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

You just described my nightmare.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle  about 30 minutes from San Marcos

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Valued Contributor

If  you like hot, humid weather along with huge roaches that fly and mosquitoes 12 months of the year, come on down. And if you have any liberal tendencies, leave them in Oregon, as it will be difficult to find someone to share them with, especially in East Texas. However, I am sure there are a lmany pluses, like fishing and shooting lots of stuff. Housing is cheap, there is no income tax, and there are tons of microbreweries. People are nice as long as you don't talk religion or politics. If you have kids, there are lot of things to do with them. Restaurants are very good in most places, and you can't beat the Tex-Mex food and margaritas. Medical care, around Houston at least if very good.

Would I move here again? Probably not. But you can't always choose where you live unless you are retired!

Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

@Shelbelle  about 30 minutes from San Marcos

They like it, have a lovely brand new home in the community. One reason they went there from MD, is because their kids live 3 hours away in Del Rio.