Honored Contributor

Re: anyone live in deep east texas ?

[ Edited ]

I'm not really a coast fan....but sometimes visit Mustang Island and small Texas towns along the Texas coast....the water was not oily/dirty  .Surpringsly no different than Cocoa Beach in Florida rather disappointed in Florida I thought they had crystal blue waters...

If you picture Texas from cowboy movies then travel to far west texas...it is like being in a movie western but even there didn't see one snake we did see a coyote and javelinas

Personally north and East Texas are my least favorite parts of the state. North Texas being #1 flat as a pancake and traffic congestion, that metroplex....East Texas---the humidity, the people aren't as friendly....Houston is layed out weird...Houston and Dallas are NOT favorite cities of mine...

In Texas there's always something going on ---fiestas, concerts, festivals etc etc . ...people like to travel around and the state it is big..its not a bit of bragging it is what is.... If you travel out of state by car it takes about a whole day to get out of Texas....

The Texas Hill country Fredericksburg area is my favorite if you don't want to live in a big city....

@Kachina624 lives in NM hates Texas...lol....And I live in Texas and as far as my dislikes----you couldnt pay me to live in California--beautiful state but the cost of living, wild fires, smog, earthquakes, electrical blackouts, and a host of other things is a turn off to me...to each their own...And just for the record Kachina and I get along just fine, we've had friendly Texas discussions before... 😊

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Foxxee Your comment that Texans were probably glad to see you leave, since you were from the Northeast, made me laugh. I can remember the influx of easterners, into Austin, significantly changing the vibe. Suddenly word had gotten out about how 'cool' Austin was and everyone was coming. They started selling t-shirts that said: Yankees go home.

It wasn't because they disliked those arriving from the N and E, being warm people in general, but with how it impacted traffic, jobs and more. They didn't want Austin to become a booming city.  They liked it being a college and music hotspot city, with just enough business & tech growth for comfort. The great recession had many leave, as pink slips were handed out like candy.  My brother even got one as a skilled Computer Analyst. The bars were full of those networking looking for work.  Very sad. But, more returned, after things perked again. 

I get it.  There was no place more attractive, cost effective, or comfortable than Austin, in my early years.  It was a dream for younger folks. Now it's traffic jams, rising housing costs, and steep job competition, but it's still a lovely city with lots of great hang out haunts and things to do. Just not the same.  

Respected Contributor

Oh good grief!  I can't believe the negative comments I'm reading here about TX.  I am a native Texan, and would never consider moving from this great state.  My only advice is to stay clear of the west part.  Way too congested.  I live in the upper east part, and love it!  I've lived in large towns and small, and would never leave this small town environment.  We Texans are strong and proud.  Don't mess with Texas!!!     

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@KingstonsMom  Those drugs would make anyone leave...it's really sad to see that happen.  I can't imagine how some of these things pass into law.

@Snoopp 

That's what's really scary to me, is that the citizens and the 'officials' had to have approved and voted for this to become 'law'.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I always enjoy your informative travelogues too, @Spurt .

I've mentioned here before, that my well-traveled Canadian mother fell in love with little Burnett, Texas when she and my Dad started visiting relatives there.  She adored it, and would have moved there in a split second if circumstances would have permitted.  Which was unusual for her.   I'm thinking it's in the hill country, or, if not, at least adjacent to it....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

I always enjoy your informative travelogues too, @Spurt .

I've mentioned here before, that my well-traveled Canadian mother fell in love with little Burnett, Texas when she and my Dad started visiting relatives there.  She adored it, and would have moved there in a split second if circumstances would have permitted.  Which was unusual for her.   I'm thinking it's in the hill country, or, if not, at least adjacent to it....

@Oznell 

Hi Oznell...Oh yes Burnet...its 100 miles north of me....near Marble Falls Texas (another wonderful small town)....We've vistied Burnet it's a charming city....northwest of Austin and not far from the Colorado River...Burnet is in the Texas Hill Country surrounded by rolling hills, lakes, beautiful geological formations and historical sites. Lots of cute, charming, unique shops and historic buildings.....At Christmas time they are known for turning a portion of their town into "Old Bethlehem" they build a realistic replica of that city and people dress in customs and go about daily life like they did in "Bethlehem" they even incorporate live animals..... .

In the area is the Longhorn Cave State Park and Inks Lake... 

I can understand why your mom adored it....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

I'm not really a coast fan....but sometimes visit Mustang Island and small Texas towns along the Texas coast....the water was not oily/dirty  .Surpringsly no different than Cocoa Beach in Florida rather disappointed in Florida I thought they had crystal blue waters...

If you picture Texas from cowboy movies then travel to far west texas...it is like being in a movie western but even there didn't see one snake we did see a coyote and javelinas

Personally north and East Texas are my least favorite parts of the state. North Texas being #1 flat as a pancake and traffic congestion, that metroplex....East Texas---the humidity, the people aren't as friendly....Houston is layed out weird...Houston and Dallas are NOT favorite cities of mine...

In Texas there's always something going on ---fiestas, concerts, festivals etc etc . ...people like to travel around and the state it is big..its not a bit of bragging it is what is.... If you travel out of state by car it takes about a whole day to get out of Texas....

The Texas Hill country Fredericksburg area is my favorite if you don't want to live in a big city....

@Kachina624 hates Texas...lol....just like you couldnt pay me to live in California--beautiful state but the cost of living, wild fires, smog, earthquakes, electrical blackouts, and a host of other things is a turn off to me...to each their own...

@Spurt- I believe Kachina624 resides in New Mexico not California. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 hates Texas...lol....just like you couldnt pay me to live in California--beautiful state but the cost of living, wild fires, smog, earthquakes, electrical blackouts, and a host of other things is a turn off to me...to each their own...

@qbetzforreal 

I know that Kachina resides in New Mexico---what Im trying to say say is Kachina doesnt like Texas, just like I dont like California....no problem different likes/dislikes....

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@qbetzforreal 

I know that ---what Im saying is Katrina doesnt like Texas, just like I dont like California....

@Spurt- okay.  I reside in So. Cal.  Backing out of the conversation.  Carry-on

Honored Contributor

Lest anyone is confused: Oregon only decriminalized possession, making it a civil crime rather than a criminal crime. The drugs themselves and the selling of them are still against the law.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland