Esteemed Contributor

Re: 'You should not have to expect a violent encounter on your way to work in the morning'

@golding76 

Heard on the news that Starbucks  closed their location in Union station because they could not ensure safety of their staff .

Honored Contributor

Re: 'You should not have to expect a violent encounter on your way to work in the morning'

@skatting44 

I've worked as a psychiatric nurse for just under a decade now.  Your post is spot-on.

Thank you.Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

@just bee 

Thanks, I am a nurse to , although  only worked briefly on a mental health unit and Detox unit.

I spent my career working with  Veterans  in an ICU setting .

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 ...........I didnt remember that it started in the 60's.  I realize that some of those with mental illness do not want to be institutionalized.  But something has to be done.  I am sure criminals do not want to go to prison either but society needs protection.  Its the best solution we have at the present time until someone comes up with a better plan.  

Thanks for the reply.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

@just bee 

Thanks, I am a nurse to , although  only worked briefly on a mental health unit and Detox unit.

I spent my career working with  Veterans  in an ICU setting .

@skatting44 

I tend to believe that every unit is a psychiatric unit.  Your experience in behavioral health and detox is definitely an asset.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

My oldest DD went to undergrad in DC and moved there after grad school in 2021.  Her first apartment was in Columbia Heights right near Howard University.  She was working from home one day when she hear gunshots.  Looking out the window she saw that a man had been shot in the head on the sidewalk in front of her apartment.  She moved shortly after.  

It is not just cities that are experiencing violence or at least aggressiveness.  I live and work in the suburbs.  Last year a man got upset with me for taking too long to fix my iced tea at Dunkin.  He yelled at me on the way out of the store then ended up following me to work.  Fortunately he only stopped to holler at me more and give me the finger and then left.  The next day I lightly tapped the car next to me when getting out of my car and the woman in the car flipped out.  Having had the experience I had the day before, I quickly walked away into my building but she followed me screaming at me the entire time.  Luckily our building is secure so I walked in and left her there screaming. You can't be too careful with all the crazies out there. 

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

What are posters personally putting up with?

They aren't taking public transportation nor do they work in a major metro city.

Huh? I had to take the metro into and out of DC yesterday, and was in the very area where this barbaric crime occurred (by sheer luck, right beforehand).  People are understandably horrified and frightened. Here, as in so many other poorly run cities, the inmates run the asylum and the criminals the streets. Consider yourself very fortunate if you don't have to deal with that.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

"Societal plan" is a new term to me.  Does societal plan = political agenda?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

As to what we do for the homeless, WaPo had a front page article today on the mismanagement of the DC Housing Authority.

The vacancy rate is exceedingly high in their managed units.  No one has been added to the list since 2003.  People refuse housing because it is substandard.  Tenants are living in substandard housing - dealing with all kinds of issues - flooding in their buildings, no working AC or heat, lead paint - that one really got me. 

Lead paint was banned in 1978.  So the Housing Authority haven't addressed that issue in 44 years?????  And knowing what it does to children, allowing children to live there?  OMG

They bought a 4.5 million dollar computer system that they were never trained on and thus don't use.  Etc. Etc.

The mayor disavows any responsibility.  It's the board (the majority of which she appointed) and the Director's fault.

And of course, everyone claims they need more money.

Then Colbert King wrote an op ed about it and mentioned that they had contracted with a company to provide housing for LGBT folks.  They just took the money and ran - no accountability there.