Honored Contributor

Re: 'You should not have to expect a violent encounter on your way to work in the morning'

I just think it's so bizarre that anyone would gather a gallon of urine and carry it around.

There are fake doctors out there who claim urine is a cure all that you should ingest and apply to your skin instead of taking your real medicine. This individual may have been influenced by those alternative medicine ideas. Cleansing the world of disease or something.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Re: 'You should not have to expect a violent encounter on your way to work in the morning'

[ Edited ]

Last year a man smashed feces in the face of a woman on the subway in the Bronx.  He was released without bail on this charge and an anti Jewish hate crime.   This doesn't include the pending cases against him.   What a mess.

Esteemed Contributor

Crime and mental illness are big big problems. But millions and millions of people go to work/school every day and don't get urine thrown on them. Nor do they get shot, stabbed nor robbed. That's the way I look at it.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

Crime and mental illness are big big problems. But millions and millions of people go to work/school every day and don't get urine thrown on them. Nor do they get shot, stabbed nor robbed. That's the way I look at it.

I totally agree. I think this is a very healthy perspective to take.

The news is news because it is unusual. We so often forget that.

We aren't going to hear any stories about someone living their comfortable, imperfect, but relatively happy life, because it's so normal. We'd be tuning in to 'The Same,' not 'The News.'

99.9999% of us are safe and secure at this moment as we read this. Everything might not be 100% perfect, but we're reasonably okay right now and likely will be a moment from now as well. And the moment after that as well...

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Subway Rider Shoved to Tracks in Brooklyn 

BUSHWICK, Brooklyn (WABC) -- A man is recovering from a broken collarbone, sprains and bruises after being shoved onto the subway tracks in Brooklyn.

David Martin, 32, is a lifelong New Yorker who has taken the subway since middle school and was taking it to work on Friday when he was attacked at the Wycoff Myrtle station in Bushwick for no reason, by someone he barely saw.

"In the blink of an eye, I was pushed with full force into the train tracks," said Martin. Police say the attack was unprovoked.

While Martin says he may not have made contact with the train or the third rail, he is still badly hurt.  "People were told that I had no injuries, but I am laying in bed with a broken collarbone and my face is so swollen. And mentally I don't know how to even get through this," he said.

Martin says he doesn't know how he can feel safe again on the subway - and that is hard to grapple with. "Because I'm from New York, and I've always felt safe taking the train and now at 32 years old, I no longer feel safe and that's not fair, and that's not ok," Martin adds.

Martin says he obviously wants the person who attacked him caught.

Friday's shove comes just a day after two other subway attacks -- one involving a kitchen knife and another involving a samurai sword -- amid an uptick in violence that has seen five people killed in the transit system in the last few weeks, reported nbc ny.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The video of this crime, captured on tape, is horrifying. 

Every subway rider's nightmare.  And it was in the afternoon!

My advice to riders is never hug the edge of the platform.  I always stand well back or behind a pillar until the train comes in.

I also never wear audio devices on the platform or train.  My experience is that much erratic behavior, sometimes violent, is preceded by yelling, cursing, rants....and I want to be able to hear it as a warning sign.......

Transit crime is up over 41% year to date over same period last year.

Honored Contributor

McPherson Square is a tent city now, has been for a few years.  Another unsafe area to walk past. 

Respected Contributor

I just read on 10/6/22 a man approached a woman pushing her child in a stroller and threw an open bottle of urine at them in Lock Haven, PA. 

Honored Contributor

Mental illness is certainly one factor in crimes.  

A huge issue is how it became ok to attack those we don't like or don't agree with.

I blame politicians, certain ideologies, and many religious leaders because of their hate talk, lies, propaganda, vengeful attitudes, bigotry, racism, politicizing religion, etc.

People would rather believe a 10 second sound bite or tv commercial than spend 5 minutes looking up facts on nonpartisan sites.

People ignore offenses by the elite but you or I would be arrested before dark if we did the same things.

All we have to do is read some of the comments on this forum to see some of it in action.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would connect almost 90% of recent terrifying attacks on the NY MTA bus and subway system to mental illness and/or substance abuse of some kind.

The other 10% appears to be guys who just can't control their temper (i.e. you bumped into my girl!) and the infuriated dude happens to be carrying a blade.