Respected Contributor

Re: 'You should not have to expect a violent encounter on your way to work in the morning'

I realize I don't personally have the answer, but what I find so appalling is that elected officials - who put themselves out there to be "in charge" - just shrug it all off as too hard to deal with and expect the rest of us to just put up with it.

Respected Contributor

Re: 'You should not have to expect a violent encounter on your way to work in the morning'

@Isobel Archer   Your comment is too broad. Not all elected officials do nothing. In Philadelphia a tent city creating problems in a popular tourist area was moved about two years ago. I think about 25% of those moved accepted permanent housing. 

I believe most health insurance now has some coverage of mental health and addictions diagnoses.

It's a difficult issue. No one wants to return to the days of warehousing the mentally ill. Compliance with a medication schedule improves with newer pharmaceuticals that may have fewer side effects.

I worry the most about rural areas that have few treatment choices.

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@Isobel Archer   Your comment is too broad. Not all elected officials do nothing. In Philadelphia a tent city creating problems in a popular tourist area was moved about two years ago. I think about 25% of those moved accepted permanent housing. 

I believe most health insurance now has some coverage of mental health and addictions diagnoses.

It's a difficult issue. No one wants to return to the days of warehousing the mentally ill. Compliance with a medication schedule improves with newer pharmaceuticals that may have fewer side effects.

I worry the most about rural areas that have few treatment choices.

You're right.  But living here near DC - especially after reading the WaPo article on the terrible state of Public Housing - along with the corruption -  I just get depressed.

Valued Contributor

This hyper vigilant blah blah blah about crime will disappear in a few weeks just like the caravans.

Esteemed Contributor

This started when? This is happening more often now, why? 

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor

Sense it always been just increased awareness at present. In my own experience life has brought and challenged me with what I felt was the absurd beginning in adolescence - wondering continually where am I and what's wrong with this picture. I ran smack into violence face first and only thru the Grace of God came out on the other side of it. Developed intuition and character as a result yet still doesn't take the hurt away when I see unnecessary suffering inflicted on others and especially at the rate it seems these days. Strengthened my faith in something greater than self and remain close to whatever that is 24/7 and ask how I can be of service

Honored Contributor

We sing God Bless America and I believe He has.  I think if things keep going the way they are,  there will come a time when it won't be long till we no longer receive the blessings that made us so great.   I keep thinking of the Pledge Of Alligiance:

I pledge allegiance to the Flag

Of the United States Of America

And to the Republic for which it stands  

One  Nation under God, INDIVISIBLE

With liberty and justice for all. 

Valued Contributor

God doesn't bless countries or it would bless Ukraine. That kind of thinking that the U.S is above others because of an imaginary God is why we have wars and brutality. If you need an imaginary entity to keep you good, you were never good to begin with.

Respected Contributor

@Stelladorable wrote:

God doesn't bless countries or it would bless Ukraine. That kind of thinking that the U.S is above others because of an imaginary God is why we have wars and brutality. If you need an imaginary entity to keep you good, you were never good to begin with.

Well if we were inherently good - without God, we wouldn't have wars either.

Valued Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Stelladorable wrote:

Well if we were inherently good - without God, we wouldn't have wars either.

We are not inherently good. Not even close. The God excuse makes us worse.