Esteemed Contributor

You have to laugh or take a stiff drink

I was checking my email with the local news on in the background.  They have a segment where viewers call in and comment on stories. It can be very entertaining.

A lady called in complaining ABC broke in yesterday to show Notre Dame burning. She was quite put out General Hospital was pre-empted. 

Last summer the local weather team broke in due to tornado warnings. A women called in the next night and she was just pitching a fit, the Chew was not on and " Carla Hall  was going to make lemon bars". as it turned out tornadoes did touch down, luckily no one was injured or killed. 

I know different things are imporant to different  folks, but oh dear. The older I get the more I am amazed at people's priorities.

Honored Contributor

Re: You have to laugh or take a stiff drink

If I had a buck everytime Young and the Restless was interrupted I'd have enough money to buy QVC out and have change left over.

11:00 central time is the only time they have Washington talks or somebody does some foolish stuff can only be done at 11:00. Key time for all activity

I notice if my phone is gonna ring it can only ring at 11:00 too.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

People don't realize how ridiculous they sound.

Guess thats why they are aired to make fools of fools!! Smiley Very Happy

They were very nasty here on Channel 16, WNEP

Is this the station you speak of @CrazyKittyLvr2 

https://wnep.com/2019/04/16/talkback-16-notre-dame-fire-central-pennsylvania/

Esteemed Contributor

@threecees  Yep, that's the one. They get some real pips calling in, and yes, you are right about some nasty ones.  Some nights DH and I just look at each other  in awe of the comments.  We wonder if these people are as nasty in person.

Respected Contributor

@threecees  @CrazyKittyLvr2 Oh my gosh, the callers to that station are a hoot.  Yes, I can believe it that people spout such foolishness.

Ladies--you gave me my chuckle for today!  Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

More than half the people I work with are ignorant about current events.

We are a nation that is devolving.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I was checking my email with the local news on in the background.  They have a segment where viewers call in and comment on stories. It can be very entertaining.

A lady called in complaining ABC broke in yesterday to show Notre Dame burning. She was quite put out General Hospital was pre-empted. 

Last summer the local weather team broke in due to tornado warnings. A women called in the next night and she was just pitching a fit, the Chew was not on and " Carla Hall  was going to make lemon bars". as it turned out tornadoes did touch down, luckily no one was injured or killed. 

I know different things are imporant to different  folks, but oh dear. The older I get the more I am amazed at people's priorities.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   All you have to do is read the soap opera threads right in these forums to see what happens when the soap operas are pre emptied. 

Honored Contributor

In defence of the two callers:

The one upset about missing her soap opera may not have had the opportunity of a diverse education or to travel. To her, a fire in France is just that and of no interest to her. Whereas, the soap opera may be the high point of her day. Also, those of us who do care, are interested, watched on CNN or MSNBC so there was no need to deprive this woman of her choice.

The second who missed lemon bars in favor of a weather alert would have seen the warning on the crawl at the bottom of the screen along with that annoying warning sound we all get when dangerous weather or an amber alert is issued. If she or anyone wished to know more, she/they could have turned to the weather channel.

I care nothing at all about soap operas and did care about the fire but that doesn't make my choice right and their's wrong. It doesn't make me better and they not as good.

Honored Contributor

you speak the gospel, sista'

Also, I don't give a fig about ballgames, golf games and tennis matches that's what the all sports channels are for.

Respected Contributor

Local stations are required by the FCC to stay on-air any time a Tornado Warning is issued in their broadcast area. I didn't know that until recently when our local meteorologist explained it, because people were upset that the basketball games were interrupted. A "crawl" across the screen is not sufficient (I had wondered about why they didn't do that, too), they MUST stay on-air until the warning is lifted. It's a legal obligation.

When General Hospital is pre-empted nationally (like with the Notre Dame fire, or when the POTUS has something to say, or there is important breaking news), if the entire show is pre-empted, they will usually just show it the next day, and move on from there. I don't know how other networks handle that.

It's kind of funny...when GH was on at 3:00, it seemed that everything happened at that time...President speaking, national breaking news, whatever. Now that it comes on at 2:00--same thing!