Honored Contributor

Re: You have to laugh or take a stiff drink

11:00 for me and I've lived in Southern Ind and now Amarillo, Tx

Still on central time and nobody does nothing 'cept at the witching hr of 11

I can guarantee family members will want to blow off at 11 (I just let machine handle them) fearless leader will come on, national news break in, etc.

Tennis and Golf games and even March madness is silliness. Program that stuff on the ESPN channels, 40 eleven sports channels.

Now, when Meghan lays her egg finally that will be OK to break in ! LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@vermint wrote:

Local stations are required by the FCC to stay on-air any time a Tornado Warning is issued in their broadcast area. I didn't know that until recently when our local meteorologist explained it, because people were upset that the basketball games were interrupted. A "crawl" across the screen is not sufficient (I had wondered about why they didn't do that, too), they MUST stay on-air until the warning is lifted. It's a legal obligation.

When General Hospital is pre-empted nationally (like with the Notre Dame fire, or when the POTUS has something to say, or there is important breaking news), if the entire show is pre-empted, they will usually just show it the next day, and move on from there. I don't know how other networks handle that.

It's kind of funny...when GH was on at 3:00, it seemed that everything happened at that time...President speaking, national breaking news, whatever. Now that it comes on at 2:00--same thing!

Not sure that is true, it may be the individual stations policy.  Where I live some local stations will continue to broadcast with a crawl while others will interupt with weather updates.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I'd be inclined to agree with the OP's perspective if 'breaking news' hadn't become a label that applies to virtually anything the networks want it to... A clear matter of public safety or virtually universal public interest is one thing. Something that can just as easily wait for one of the many hours of local or national newscasts available is something else altogether. They're trying to compete with on-line news and they just can't quite figure out how to do it.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

The pre-emptions I mentioned from our local news were 1 day for Pete's sake.  What did they do when networks cut in for days to cover state funerals, mass shootings etc.?  

I have certainly had shows I wanted to watch pre-empted.  I have enough other channels to watch that don't cut or I leave the news event on and read or do something else until their done.

I just don't see where it warranted a call to a news station and do a public rant.

Honored Contributor

I can understand those people.  We all have different priorities and even I was exasperated by 14 hours of the Notre Dame coverage.  Our local stations ended up showing phone cell calls with with tourists for heavens sake.  There was nothing to show, no additional news, everything that had to be said had been said.....but they wouldn't leave it alone. Think about, there will be many tornadoes but when would she ever get to see Carla make lemon bars?  

Honored Contributor

It's simply narcissism in which one person thinks their desires are all that matters.

As I listened to one morning show host bemoan the tragedy of the cathedral burning, I asked myself how many people had no idea of its importance. Jay Leno used to go out on the street and ask basic questions - it was amazing how little some people knew about current events and history.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember to this day when John Hinkley Jr. attempted to assassinate Ronald Reagan.  It was during the 3PM EST airing of GH.  Some Luke and Laura drama was happening (oh, and Leslie, the Mom - she was involved, big mascara'd eyes, and glossed upper lip, quivering).

I think we just fired up a smoke and went on with the day.  I was in college at the time.  We had a coed group around the B&W tv in the rental house.  

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree  If the roof of the woman's house was blown off while she was making Carla's lemon bars she would have called and yipped because she wasn't warned. There are cookbooks,computers, libraries. family, friends and neighbors to find recipes. Unless she was housebound with no contact with the outside world she could have gotten a recipe, even Carla's. 

A tornado went thru here and we were 1/2 away a few years ago, my life and that of my family is worth more than any recipe.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, but there is no excuse for such stupidity. To think that a soap opera or a ball game is more important than warnings about a serious storm or coverage of the destruction of an icon of western civilization is just absurd. These people are just plain dumb.

Honored Contributor

I’m not sure why someone cares about a soap opera being preempted – come back in a month and it will have the same storyline. It’s not like you missed anything 😂