Respected Contributor

Wonderful--Free Testing and Food Security

Bill to go through house.  I don't know about sick days.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wonderful--Free Testing and Food Security

Please don't wait for legislation to rescue you.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Please don't wait for legislation to rescue you.

I was considering how to answer this thread, and you hit the nail right on the head. 

I find it disturbing that we now have to feed most of the nation's school children both breakfast and lunch, and that when they are out for the summer or a crisis like this one, we need to find alternate ways to keep them fed. 

I think jobs and economic stimulus to increase wages/jobs is the more permanent way to cure some of these ills in society. 

We have to get past giving a man a fish, and more about teaching him how to fish. 

We are spending a ton of money on band aid fixes for terminal illness.

Honored Contributor

What a presumptuous thing to say. Why assume the OP is personally waiting to be rescued?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

What a presumptuous thing to say. Why assume the OP is personally waiting to be rescued?

Amen!  @Porcelain 

She's been attacked and  had fingers wagged in her face every time she's posted.

Her topics have been interesting and thought provoking.  I suspect a little on-line bullying is going on here.

Esteemed Contributor

The stock market has already lost trillions, so what we spend to feed children who only get decent meals at school is a drop in the bucket. We don't have the luxury of time with this awful virus. If school is closed, we need to assure that poor children are fed. There is no time right now to teach them how to fish. That will have to come after the pandemic passes. As for their parents, if they get no help many will go to work sick and spread the virus to the rest of us. For people in the danger categories, that is unacceptable. Helping those without insurance is good for all of us.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I didn't take the response to be directed to OP or assuming that was the OP's circumstance. 

If it was quoted, it would be more that. But I took the reply to be an in general comment, and a wise one. In a really big crisis, the government doesn't begin to have all it needs to fix everyone's situation. People have to plan for things like this, prepare for things like this, and figure out ways when in the middle of things like this to fix it themselves, or for others or with others, independent of the government.

Respected Contributor

I accept that not everyone will agree with me.  Because of my education, profession, and religion I am thoughtful about the least among us.  I see my attitude and interests as a blessing in my life. 

Esteemed Contributor

They don't even have testing kit for regular folks yet...... we see how this works out

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

The stock market has already lost trillions, so what we spend to feed children who only get decent meals at school is a drop in the bucket. We don't have the luxury of time with this awful virus. If school is closed, we need to assure that poor children are fed. There is no time right now to teach them how to fish. That will have to come after the pandemic passes. As for their parents, if they get no help many will go to work sick and spread the virus to the rest of us. For people in the danger categories, that is unacceptable. Helping those without insurance is good for all of us.

Fixing the system so people aren't so dependent on one provider (the government) in daily situations as well as crisis situations will make a stronger community in good times and bad. 

Every time there is a crisis, and people at any level (including industy, finance etc.) need to depend on being bailed out by the government, we make ourselves as a whole, weaker. It goes for everything from free lunch, to auto industry bail out and beyond.