QVC Customer Care

Re: Wonderful--Free Testing and Food Security

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Please don't wait for legislation to rescue you.

I was considering how to answer this thread, and you hit the nail right on the head. 

I find it disturbing that we now have to feed most of the nation's school children both breakfast and lunch, and that when they are out for the summer or a crisis like this one, we need to find alternate ways to keep them fed. 

I think jobs and economic stimulus to increase wages/jobs is the more permanent way to cure some of these ills in society. 

We have to get past giving a man a fish, and more about teaching him how to fish. 

We are spending a ton of money on band aid fixes for terminal illness.

@Mominohio And I find this to be one of most disturbing paragraphs I've read recently. If the government can't help its must vulnerable, it doesn't deserve being called a government at all. It would be just a Darwinian exercise of survival of the fittest.

It's much more disturbing that we have allowed our nation to become a naiton of need, a nation of entitlement, rather than a nation of the self sufficient. 

Hiding behind the starving child excuse doesn't change, fix or prevent the underlying and disturbing fact that it exists, that there are ways to combat and change it that ultimately don't rely on it being an almost universal 'free need' provided at taxpayer expense. 

What does it really say about a nation of parents that cannot/will not feed their own children rather than let the government do it? It says that the culture of entitlement needs to be changed to the culture of empowerment.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

I accept that not everyone will agree with me.  Because of my education, profession, and religion I am thoughtful about the least among us.  I see my attitude and interests as a blessing in my life. 

You should see it as that.

Plenty of people already know how to fish, it's not their fault at all that they don't get paid well enough for that fishing while CEOs live in the lap of luxury.

And let's not forget that middle and upper middle class people can be one layoff or medical catastrophe away from being in the same boat. There will be lots of layoffs because of this virus and that is an unforeseen circumstance that the best prepared among us couldn't be prepared for. Lots of medical bills too, even with insurance.

I for one am all for children receiving free lunches. I worked for a while in a school in a solidly middle/upper middle class town. Some of the kids came to school in the same clothes constantly, and one had shoes on that literally fell apart at recess. I don't know how many were receiving a free lunch, I'm just glad they were. Town has a food pantry too.

No person truly knows the life story of another. My beliefs teach me to be non judgmental and compassionate. Plus it's just how I was raised. Things aren't always as black and white as some see them.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I was considering how to answer this thread, and you hit the nail right on the head. 

I find it disturbing that we now have to feed most of the nation's school children both breakfast and lunch, and that when they are out for the summer or a crisis like this one, we need to find alternate ways to keep them fed. 

I think jobs and economic stimulus to increase wages/jobs is the more permanent way to cure some of these ills in society. 

We have to get past giving a man a fish, and more about teaching him how to fish. 

@Mominohio 

THIS--------We have to get past giving a man a fish, and more about teaching him how to fish. 

This has been a long term problem....With a pandemic going on this will have to be put aside for later action....and I wish it could be given a priority.....But people these days are more concerned with the welfare of "tresspassers" than "our own" kids.....11 mill kids go hungry....sad

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@Mominohio And I find this to be one of most disturbing paragraphs I've read recently. If the government can't help its must vulnerable, it doesn't deserve being called a government at all. It would be just a Darwinian exercise of survival of the fittest.

It's much more disturbing that we have allowed our nation to become a naiton of need, a nation of entitlement, rather than a nation of the self sufficient. 

Hiding behind the starving child excuse doesn't change, fix or prevent the underlying and disturbing fact that it exists, that there are ways to combat and change it that ultimately don't rely on it being an almost universal 'free need' provided at taxpayer expense. 

What does it really say about a nation of parents that cannot/will not feed their own children rather than let the government do it? It says that the culture of entitlement needs to be changed to the culture of empowerment.

More DIckens. This all sounds exactly like Scrooge before his transformation.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I could not agree more, @suzyQ3.

Some people love to tear apart and blame the poor instead of stopping to really look at the hows and whys behind poverty in America. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@suzyQ3  @Mominohio 

I understand what mominohio is saying...normally when the government is involved most of the money winds up in the hand of the adminstrative bureaucracy instead of the people that need the help......and you cant overlook those that dont want to help themselves either (or deadbeat "sperm donors" that dont contribute to the welfare of their children--one guy on Judge Judy had 13 kids---how does he help his kids...he occasionally might chip in for diapers.......there's plenty of abuse in the welfare system as well.....   I prefer it when charities, non-profits, and communities (private citizens) ban together to help each other....it gets to the folks that are trying to make a living and need some help...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

I accept that not everyone will agree with me.  Because of my education, profession, and religion I am thoughtful about the least among us.  I see my attitude and interests as a blessing in my life. 

You should see it as that.

Plenty of people already know how to fish, it's not their fault at all that they don't get paid well enough for that fishing while CEOs live in the lap of luxury.

And let's not forget that middle and upper middle class people can be one layoff or medical catastrophe away from being in the same boat. There will be lots of layoffs because of this virus and that is an unforeseen circumstance that the best prepared among us couldn't be prepared for. Lots of medical bills too, even with insurance.

I for one am all for children receiving free lunches. I worked for a while in a school in a solidly middle/upper middle class town. Some of the kids came to school in the same clothes constantly, and one had shoes on that literally fell apart at recess. I don't know how many were receiving a free lunch, I'm just glad they were. Town has a food pantry too.

No person truly knows the life story of another. My beliefs teach me to be non judgmental and compassionate. Plus it's just how I was raised. Things aren't always as black and white as some see them.

@Greeneyedlady21 @Mominohio 

CEOs just dont sit in a tower counting their money...sure they buy things...but dont those purchases help businesses...????...And they invest in companies, or start companies both of which enable business to supply JOBS....isnt that how Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Google, got started and grew and grew and grew....so now some want them to be penalized for their success???? .But lets not forget greedy union workers who DEMANDED $50 an hour wages...And thats why CEO's moved businesses abroad...and why we are in the trouble we are in today---when practically everything including pharmacueticals and critical items are made overseas instead of the U.S....

And Im not saying all of the CEOS are angels...some are crooks, some are greedy SOBS...just like there are in every occupation (whether it be used car salesmen, auto mechanics, or lawyers...etc etc..) ...then there are those looking out for their own self-interest and not their constituents...you know...those in the "DC area"............

But people themselves have to have a sense of responsibility for their lives too...and when an event occurs whether a virus, weather, or illness creates a catastrophe....thats when we the people, need to pitch in to help.....

Honored Contributor

If corporations are made of people, which is true...governments are also made of people. Like soylent green.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain  Since we get to quote Scrooge 🙂, this is one of my favorites:  

“Business!”cried the Ghost, ringing his hands again. “Mankind was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The deals of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”