Respected Contributor

Common sense so rare anymore?

I saw a mother and daughter interviewed on inside edition yesterday or some such show and they have ridden a train to come to New York to see 4 Broadway shows and on the train they heard they were cancelled due to virus.  Why would anyone leave home to get on a train and go to New York to see anything now.....my mind is blown....

Honored Contributor

Re: Common sense so rare anymore?

I find the whole mass hysteria mind blowing.

Caution......definitely yes

hysteria........NO

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I saw a mother and daughter interviewed on inside edition yesterday or some such show and they have ridden a train to come to New York to see 4 Broadway shows and on the train they heard they were cancelled due to virus.  Why would anyone leave home to get on a train and go to New York to see anything now.....my mind is blown....

I agree with you, @chiclet. I wouldn't want to be on a plane, train or any other type of mass transit at this point. There is too little known about this virus, how long it lives on surfaces, the fact that people can test positive and feel fine- just so many different things.

Add to that the sheer panic some folks have, I just want to stay out of any crowded areas, at this point.

Honored Contributor

Not using common sense.  There is no need for fear/hysteria...there is need for rational science based suggested precautions.  This virus requires that all of us are taking the steps necessary to stay healthy for ourselves and one another.

Trusted Contributor

Common sense *is* rare. Sometimes, I think my eyeballs are going to get stuck from rolling my eyes (both literally and figuratively) all the time. Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

Yeah, for sure. Common sense is a big issue.  A lot of people seem to have -- hmmm --- is it tunnel vision, or what?  They just see what it is they want and don't seem to take in or see or hear anything going on around them.  I mean, of course, we all have things we want to do, but there are outside factors that we don't have any control over.  All these restrictions right now are for the good and safety of EVERYONE.  I just think, be safe, use your head and be aware. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Playing devils advocate here, why would they stay home if the show was going on, tickets are bought months in advance and they cost a fortune for a Broadway show the cheapest ticket is $125 dollars

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

One of my nieces got the e-mail that school will be closed for her 3 kids until April 1.

Her next FB post was about all the e-mails from the indoor playgrounds giving discounted daytime pricing while the schools are closed.

Not even on a good day did I want my daughter in one those gross and germy indoor ball pits. 

I fully expect to see a post that the kids had a blast at - fill in the blank.  

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe they wanted to get out of house and do something.

Maybe they want to keep their lives as normal as possible.

Maybe they don't want to buy in to the fear and hysteria that the sky is falling.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Playing devils advocate here, why would they stay home if the show was going on, tickets are bought months in advance and they cost a fortune for a Broadway show the cheapest ticket is $125 dollars

Perhaps because they should care about the safety of others, many people are asymtomatic. This is to be taken seriously, of course we shouldn't panic but let's use common sense. The cost of the ticket should not be a priority in times like this.