Respected Contributor

Windows 10 Update is Crashing Computers

[ Edited ]

I have not installed Windows 10 thank goodness.  Here's the latest.

A Windows 10 update that arrived over the weekend is causing endless reboots on some users' computers. Unfortunately, thanks to Microsoft's new way of handling updates, it's almost impossible to avoid and very hard to fix.

In its new Windows 10 operating system, Microsoft decided to make security and system updates install automatically when they become available. This move was aimed at people who never update their computers, which leaves them vulnerable to viruses and other threats. So, it was supposed to work to everyone's benefit.

google: windows 10 is crashing computers

aka: kittywhipped

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Windows 10 Update is Crashing Computers

Big surprise...not! I made sure I got a laptop loaded with Windows 7 while I still could. My intent is to bypass 8 entirely. I will not get 10 until I need a new computer.

Historically updating from one OS to another does not work well. You need a computer that has been initally loaded with it. 

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

Fortunately, mine is working ok so far......They did install quite a few updates the other day.....all at one time.  So, we will see what happens. 

If it does happen, will take my computer (laptop) to Office Max and let them deal with it.

Esteemed Contributor

@kittywhipped wrote:

A Windows 10 update that arrived over the weekend is causing endless reboots on some users' computers. Unfortunately, thanks to Microsoft's new way of handling updates, it's almost impossible to avoid and very hard to fix.

In its new Windows 10 operating system, Microsoft decided to make security and system updates install automatically when they become available. This move was aimed at people who never update their computers, which leaves them vulnerable to viruses and other threats. So, it was supposed to work to everyone's benefit.

I just re-read your post. I won't have MS controlling when and what I update, so if this is true, I will be looking at a non Windows OS

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

On Windows UPDATES work for me but not UPGRADES.

On iPad, upgrading the IOS system has not worked out so well.

at school, our computers were set up to AUTOMATIVPCALLY install updates, upon start up or shut down. (Windows XP or 7)

it seemed to take a day or two for everything to calm down and adjust.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I've been reading this a  lot.   Upgrading an OS doesn't always work that well.   I think a clean install is the only way to go.

As for the part about it automatically installing all Win updates - YIKES!   I learned years ago to not have that allowed.  Just tell me when there are updates and I will dl/install them.     I've had things become corrupted in the past, when turning on a computer and having too many things try to update themselves at the same time. 

I would hope there is a setting to change that.  If not - no es bueno!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@betteb wrote:

@kittywhipped wrote:

I just re-read your post. I won't have MS controlling when and what I update, so if this is true, I will be looking at a non Windows OS

My computer is brand new, and therefore it didn't have anything on it until they installed it at the store.  Believe their problem is with those that already have windows installed on their computers and are updating to Windows 10......

Esteemed Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

@betteb wrote:

@kittywhipped wrote:

My computer is brand new, and therefore it didn't have anything on it until they installed it at the stsore.  Believe their problem is with those that already have windows installed on their computers and are up0dating to Windows 10......

Yes, exactly Showme. Never upgrade an existing OS. It's nothing but trouble from that point on.

Honored Contributor

bette......I had a Dell laptop and it died on me.  Had it for 5 years......and Dell would not sell me a contract anymore on the harddrive.....so, I just let it run until it didn't start up anymore.  Fortunately my sister knew how much I loved using the computer so she said she would get this for me.  Got an HP Pavilion laptop.  It really is a beauty.  Still learning something everyday.  There are no longer instruction books provided.....everything has to be done by goggling it. 

Respected Contributor

this is from kim komando   I used to look at her tips when I first got a computer.

Fortunately, the update only seems to cause the endless reboot on computers that have specific Nvidia drivers and settings left over from previous installations of Windows. Your odds of running into this problem aren't high.

Obviously, Microsoft needs to tweak the update code so that failed updates don't try to install again right away. Hopefully, that will be coming soon.