Respected Contributor

Re: Windows 10 Update is Crashing Computers

@Marp wrote:

@CaliKat wrote:

I started having reboot problems, among other things, last night. How or where can I check to see if the Windows 10 update has automatically installed on my computer?

Where do I check to see if I have a Nividia driver?

Thank you!

Open control panel. Click on Administrative Tools. Click on Device Manager (on the left at the bottom of the System Tools section). Locate Display Adapters and click on the > symbol. There will be a list (likely only one item) that will show the name of your graphics controller. Highlight the name, right click and choose update driver from the menu. Windows will search for an updated driver. 

If windows 10 is already on the computer then there isn't a control panel anymore. It's settings and it's different but similar.

Respected Contributor

I have 2 laptops with Windows 7 on each and I have never received an update for Windows 10.  I've always adjusted my settings to have the computer let me know when new updates are available and I install them at a time convenient for me. 

Even so, I've not had any messages about Win 10 upgrades being available on either one of my laptops.  How is it that others have gotten them?  As it is, with all the difficulties, I'd probably staty with Win 7.

Esteemed Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@CaliKat wrote:

I started having reboot problems, among other things, last night. How or where can I check to see if the Windows 10 update has automatically installed on my computer?

Where do I check to see if I have a Nividia driver?

Thank you!

Open control panel. Click on Administrative Tools. Click on Device Manager (on the left at the bottom of the System Tools section). Locate Display Adapters and click on the > symbol. There will be a list (likely only one item) that will show the name of your graphics controller. Highlight the name, right click and choose update driver from the menu. Windows will search for an updated driver. 

If windows 10 is already on the computer then there isn't a control panel anymore. It's settings and it's different but similar.

The laptop I am currently using was purchased with Windows 10 preinstalled and it does indeed have control panel.

Start, all apps, scroll down to Windows System, open, locate control panel.  You can send it to desktop as a shortcut or add it to the start menu whichever works best for you.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

I have 2 laptops with Windows 7 on each and I have never received an update for Windows 10.  I've always adjusted my settings to have the computer let me know when new updates are available and I install them at a time convenient for me. 

Even so, I've not had any messages about Win 10 upgrades being available on either one of my laptops.  How is it that others have gotten them?  As it is, with all the difficulties, I'd probably staty with Win 7.

Someone here first posted about the update and then after I read about it  I did see a little white 4 panel window icon in my taskbar and I clicked on it and it took me to sign up before the windows 10 became available.  I downloaded it when it became available and then itunes was not compatible  but thankfully that is fixed but windows 10 does not like any programs that aren't Microsoft.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The laptop I am currently using was purchased with Windows 10 preinstalled and it does indeed have control panel.

Start, all apps, scroll down to Windows System, open, locate control panel.  You can send it to desktop as a shortcut or add it to the start menu whichever works best for you.

ok I can see the control panel ( old style)  going under the apps, windows system, control panel but I don't see administrative tools. If I type adminstrative tools in the settings search   it brings up a list of items from component services to windows memory diagnotics  all with a date modified on  7/10/2015 probably the date I signed up for the windows 10 update.

Respected Contributor

lovescats:  thanks for explaining.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Where do you adjust the settings so that you're not being spied on? 😳. Someone mentioned that below.

There is something diff on the boards, my font came out tiny.

Esteemed Contributor

I updated.  It locked me out of my Internet connection.  I had to go back to Windows 8.  Even then I had to do some things to get back online.  Horrible situation.  

Honored Contributor

It's all Greek to me.  I wish and hope every single night that my Windows 7 laptop will live forever.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

This is exactly why as I stated on the first thread about "have you loaded ...yet?" I said that we have a rule in our house about never, ever downloading a new program until it's been out at least a year.