Respected Contributor

Re: Why do you think

[ Edited ]

@Marp   We agree. It is never correct to change a quote for the purpose of changing its meaning; however, to address particular points inside a quote by quoting just those points is perfectly correct and acceptable form in writing.  Truncated quotes are generally signified by the use of  an ellipsis (...).  That is not possible at the beginning of a post here on the forum, so whenever I have addressed just part of a post, I have always added, “in part” behind “@XYZ wrote.”

I have been judicious in making certain I have not changed someone’s point to enable my own. This is primarily because it is not my character, but also because I have more confidence than that in my ability to state my opinions.  I do not need to cheat or mislead.

The quote in question had snide content, and my intention was to highlight that instead of pointing my finger at the poster. Again, that is not my character.  

For the sake of complete understanding, I repeat that, other than the instance in this thread–for which I had valid reason, I have never deleted a name from a quote. If that has happened, it was not done by me. For what it’s worth, though, I have not seen it occur in any post, neither my own nor from any one else.

I hope I have clarified the issue well enough to allow this thread to continue on its original course. Let’s not derail the conversation.

Edited to insert an omitted word.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Funniest post I have read today.

Esteemed Contributor
No I haven't read about that but saw an example in a tweet by a candidate for president@MyGirlsMom.

But I have seen posts that I have recognized as being written by someone else passed off as the poster's.

It's very easy to find the original source when you research a topic to learn more about or "fact check" it.
Esteemed Contributor

@Lila Belle

O/T  How are you and the family - are you anywhere near the flooding?

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

@KALLIE wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:
I have for the most part stopped posting on the MA type of thread. It always becomes my facts are facts and you are racist ,stupid, old,non educated, etc. I prefer to just read them now.

Especially from one poster who ALWAYS believes she's ALWAYS right about every topic. LOL!

There is more than one who will not ever let it GO!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why do you think

[ Edited ]

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Lila Belle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are doing great and not in the part of the country where there has been flooding @MyGirlsMom. We've had a lot of rain this past week  with Bonnie and our area will finally see some sunshine tomorrow.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Lila Belle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are doing great and not in theart of the country where there has been flooding @MyGirlsMom. We've had a lot of rain this past week  with Bonnie and our area will finally see some sunshine tomorrow.

Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Good grief @Marp @Noel7 @MyGirlsMom @Lila Belle and anyone else bothered by the way @IamMrsG posts... She hasn't removed the post she quotes.  If interested enough, whoever is reading can look through the thread and see the entire post AND who wrote it.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Good grief @Marp @Noel7 @MyGirlsMom @Lila Belle@ and anyone else bothered by the way @IamMrsG posts... She hasn't removed the post she quotes.  If interested enough, whoever is reading can look through the thread and see the entire post AND who wrote it.

Good morning esme! Smiley Happy

My posts were not directed to anyone in particular and IamMrsG fully explained her position and I "got it." 

Have a great day!! 

Respected Contributor

Moonchilde wrote 

It's well known, though, that for just about any topic one could think of, "facts" can be found online to back a POV AND its opposite. So one person's "fact" is another person's balderdash, and then the posting starts into "my source is accurate/good/correct and yours isn't" territory. To claim that one has "the" correct facts and everyone else is just WRONG is the absolute fastest way to throw a discussion into the insult toidy, IMO.

As has been said, no one here is going to change anyone else's mind if they have a strong opinion, so to verbally browbeat the "other side" for being "wrong" is both futile and guaranteed to start name-calling, insults and mud-flinging, thereby increasing the likelihood of the thread

being zapped.

Great observations...