Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 773
Registered: ‎05-08-2015

@jaxs mom wrote:

So you started a thread just to complain about the moderators deciding that posts were off topic. 


No, I started a thread asking why posters think discussions get shut down when facts are introduced.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
QVC Customer Care
Posts: 675
Registered: ‎06-14-2015

This post has been removed by QVC because it's unkind

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,415
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

It seems to be, as many have already clearly stated, that some start at and stay at where they are, and perhaps even assume others know less or the same as they do.  Some look at new facts and/or even new thoughts that are introduced as an opportunity to research further but some do not. 

 

Whether or not one's opinion is changed shouldn't be important.  It's whether someone is willing to "check things out"  and maybe spend some time with thoughts, ideas, or knowledge that is not the same as familiar thoughts, ideas, or knowledge, even if it's only to understand others better.

 

 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,856
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@IamMrsG, before your explanation I just found it a curiosity because I was under the impression that only names were being removed but in light of your admission that you sometimes remove parts of a post that are showing up as a quote I do find that troublesome.

 

Without the name of the quoted poster it is sometimes difficult to find the post if one wants to see the context in which the quoted post was made.

 

Removing parts of a post that you find superfluous to your point is disturbing to me.  Readers have no way of knowing that part of a quote has been removed and the meaning/intent of the original post can be lost with the remainder being misconstrued.

 

Doing either in private posts in a closed conversation is likely to have little impact on the conversation because all parties would know who was involved and what was actually said.  On an open board doing either and more particularly doing both can lead to long lasting misunderstandings and misconceptions.  It is a disaster waiting to happen.

The more I learn the more I realize how little I know.
Are you setting an example or being an example?
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,136
Registered: ‎06-03-2010

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@IamMrsG, I have an off topic curiosity question.  I've noticed that often when you quote a post the name of the poster you are quoting has been removed.  If you don't mind sharing why do you remove the poster's name?


 

@Marp  To my knowledge this is the first time the name has been removed from someone I've quoted.  I did it deliberately this time because my intent was to shine light on the attitude, not the poster.

 

Other times when I quote, I will delete the part that is superfluous to the point I wish to make.  I do this because I find interminably long strings of quotes difficult to follow.

 

Do you find this practice troublesome?


I see exactly what you are doing and why...........and I don't see a problem with it..................................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,054
Registered: ‎02-17-2016

@Jackaranda wrote:
I have for the most part stopped posting on the MA type of thread. It always becomes my facts are facts and you are racist ,stupid, old,non educated, etc. I prefer to just read them now.

Especially from one poster who ALWAYS believes she's ALWAYS right about every topic. LOL!

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,287
Registered: ‎01-24-2013

@Marp wrote:

@IamMrsG, before your explanation I just found it a curiosity because I was under the impression that only names were being removed but in light of your admission that you sometimes remove parts of a post that are showing up as a quote I do find that troublesome.

 

Without the name of the quoted poster it is sometimes difficult to find the post if one wants to see the context in which the quoted post was made.

 

Removing parts of a post that you find superfluous to your point is disturbing to me.  Readers have no way of knowing that part of a quote has been removed and the meaning/intent of the original post can be lost with the remainder being misconstrued.

 

Doing either in private posts in a closed conversation is likely to have little impact on the conversation because all parties would know who was involved and what was actually said.  On an open board doing either and more particularly doing both can lead to long lasting misunderstandings and misconceptions.  It is a disaster waiting to happen.



@Marp wrote:

@IamMrsG, before your explanation I just found it a curiosity because I was under the impression that only names were being removed but in light of your admission that you sometimes remove parts of a post that are showing up as a quote I do find that troublesome.

 

Without the name of the quoted poster it is sometimes difficult to find the post if one wants to see the context in which the quoted post was made.

 

Removing parts of a post that you find superfluous to your point is disturbing to me.  Readers have no way of knowing that part of a quote has been removed and the meaning/intent of the original post can be lost with the remainder being misconstrued.

 

Doing either in private posts in a closed conversation is likely to have little impact on the conversation because all parties would know who was involved and what was actually said.  On an open board doing either and more particularly doing both can lead to long lasting misunderstandings and misconceptions.  It is a disaster waiting to happen.


`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

@Yes, it is disturbing to me also @Marp.

Any distortion of a post is imo dishonest and can be self-serving.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,758
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

By removing parts of a post, it takes away the full meaning of what the original poster meant - things can be taken out of context and another meaning can be implied. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,287
Registered: ‎01-24-2013

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

By removing parts of a post, it takes away the full meaning of what the original poster meant - things can be taken out of context and another meaning can be implied. 


```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I see it as just as bad as like not naming a source and claiming the words as your own.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,758
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@Lila Belle wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

By removing parts of a post, it takes away the full meaning of what the original poster meant - things can be taken out of context and another meaning can be implied. 


```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I see it as just as bad as like not naming a source and claiming the words as your own.


***

 

Have you ever read about the College Professor who gave his class a sentence and asked them to change the punctuation? By changing the punctuation, the entire meaning of the sentence was different.  I think that by omitting part or parts of a post, the meaning changes or can be  (possibly )manipulated to make the poster look badly.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow