Honored Contributor

Re: Why Nearly 46% of Households Still Have Landlines

@VaBelle35 wrote:

They will have to pry my landline out of my cold dead hands.

I work from home a lot and I need a good quality phone line.  Our work phones have moved to VOIP and the quality is awful and when the internet connection is having issues or overloaded, the calls drop or voices go in and out.  Everyone is complaining.  When people join calls from their cell phones all  you hear is the crackling and popping and if they are not on mute you hear all kinds of background noise when they are talking.

I have the Philips phones from Costco and my cell phone is paired to my landline, so if my cell phone rings, I can answer it on any phone in the house.

My neighborhood is on Nextdoor and Facebook and there is a post a week asking if Fios is down.

Cell coverage at my home sux bigtime. The "house phone" (not my phone, I only have cell) is VOIP, and if anyone thinks there is no difference in call quality between VOIP and a land line - there absolutely is! 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's another vote for land lines.  We have to have a land line. DH has an implanted defibrillator and it requires a heart monitor that requires a landline.  Even so, I still wanted to keep the land line even though we both have cell phones.  I can understand people so much better on my land line.  When people call me on my cell phone, I am continuously having to ask them to repeat themselves.  It frustrates me and I can tell it's frustrating to them. To my knowledge....I am not hard of hearing!

Honored Contributor

@jubilant  My dad had that when he was alive.

It is an amazing thing and so convenient to not have to go to the doctor's office for this.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I look at the definiation of landline differently than most. I had a true landline from a dedicated phone company. Then I bundled TV Cable and Phone. I consider that a phone in the home but if my cable goes out, so does the phone. In a true emergency, that phone may be useless to me, does that make sense?

So for people who say they keep a landline in the home in case of ermergency....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@jubilant  My dad had that when he was alive.

It is an amazing thing and so convenient to not have to go to the doctor's office for this.

************  Yes, it is amazing.  As long as DH is within 10 ft. of it...it reads his defibrillator.  He has it set up next to his bed.  If anything goes wrong a red light will flash and that means....call an ambulance something is wrong.  It will even bring up emergency numbers on the screen for you to call.  When it's on the blue light, you can manually interrogate the device when instructed by physician to do so or when device prompts you to do it.  That's the only time you use that button. The white light asks you a lot of yes and no questions about your health and you just answer on the touch screen. If a light is blinking you simply touch it and it will tell you what to do.   

Trusted Contributor

I have a landline and still keep an old fashion phone on hand when the electricity goes out. (They still work then as they dont use a base like the cordless ones) I have never owned a cell phone as where I live is a cell black out area (yup not even Verison can penetrate these woods LOL)....so noone gets any cell service here. LOL

Trusted Contributor

@jubilant. Wow that is a wonderful thing. I had no idea such a thing existed.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like there really are even more legit reasons that some folks need to have a landline than I ever imagined!

Ours is probably for the bundle price, for the alarm system, and for the fact that I would not want to give MY cell phone # to all the businesses and such that contact us.   I've always kept it pretty low key and even, as such, I get the occasional unwanted call.   Had one already today.  The last one was only a few days ago.

I've even gotten calls, over the years, from people who said that this IS their friend's cell number, although I've had the same number since 1994!   That is the weirdest one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My landline works even in a bad storm......I keep an old phone for emergencies and it works just fine ....(but cordless wont work with landline in a storm)...........The reason for landline is for relatives/friends with health issues that may need to reach me, or if I have an emergency and need to call an ambulance or in the event of a fire need to call fire dept....and what happens if my smartphone needs to be charged and no electricty Im out of luck even portable chargers (like Halo need to be charged once in a while)  and what if it takes a few days to get electricty back on if the storm is really bad---i.e. tornado/hurricane etc..................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

We have a land line for 2 reasons.  First, we use it with an answering machine to deal with all kinds of robo-calls.  We only interrupt the machine if it's someone who we know and who didn't call us on our cell phones.  Second, we use it as our emergency link to the outside world when we have power outages.  We have an extra phone that we plug into an available jack to stay in touch with the outside world.  Our primary phone with the answering machine depends on continuous power and stops working when the power goes out.