Honored Contributor

Why Nearly 46% of Households Still Have Landlines

It surprised me to learn that fewer than half of all U.S. households still have a landline-- only about 46%. I thought it was a lot more. I keep mine, in spite of the fact that the vast majority of calls l receive are scam robocalls or telemarketers (as we've discussed in another thread). I hang onto it for the security and reliability it provides, as well as a better connection than a cellphone, and the ability to have extension phones in several rooms.

Here's the link to an interesting article:

http://nyp.st/2qBp42J

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Why Nearly 46% of Households Still Have Landlines

I'm surprised it is still that many of us that have landlines. I'd have suspected it would be down around 30%!

I won't be giving mine up anytime soon. 

Respected Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

It surprised me to learn that fewer than half of all U.S. households still have a landline-- only about 46%. I thought it was a lot more. I keep mine, in spite of the fact that the vast majority of calls l receive are scam robocalls or telemarketers (as we've discussed in another thread). I hang onto it for the security and reliability it provides, as well as a better connection than a cellphone, and the ability to have extension phones in several rooms.

Here's the link to an interesting article:

http://nyp.st/2qBp42J

Interesting that you say that because when there is a thunderstorm in my area, I lose my landline.  That being said, when we were in a bad ice storm and had no electricity I had to charge my phone from my running car.  Not sure if I would have had service had I kept my landline.  I now have chargers in my house and purse for any emergency. 

Honored Contributor

I have to have one to operate the gates to our community remotely. If you want thru the gates you push the button next to our name and our phone rings - then we push a code in and the gates open.Most new Florida planned communities have gates that operate similar to this.Many of our neighbors complain about having to keep a land line phone for this.

Regular Contributor

I won't be giving up mine. We live in a big house and there is at least 3 phone on every level. If I just used my cell I'd never hear it ring. I could be anywhere in the house and answer the landline.  I don't want to carry a phone around with me when I move from room to room.  All my friends and family know this so they call on my landline.

Respected Contributor

Landline lover here!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only have one because the '3 for 1' plan with my cable company is less expensive than getting an internet and cable only package. But I never use it- I actually never even called the 800# to hook it up!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only reason I still have a land line is because it was much cheaper to keep it (bundled with internet) than get rid of it. The ringers are turned off and calls go directly to voicemail, which I check about once a week. It does provide a benefit though, as I only give my cell phone number to people that I actually want to talk to. Everyone else can leave a message. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

I only have one because the '3 for 1' plan with my cable company is less expenseive than getting an internet and cable only package. But I never use it- I actually never even called the 800# to hook it up!

We got one for the same reason.  Cheaper to bundle even if you never use it.

Honored Contributor

Around six years ago ,my husband  made me give ours up,because of cost savings,i fought tooth and nail to keep it,but i lost that battle hated losing it ,but you know what i actually grew to find it okay,he passed away , and i never got one again i only have a flip cell phone.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.