Trusted Contributor

Re: Why Nearly 46% of Households Still Have Landlines

I have a landline and will never give it up!  I have a cell phone (flip phone) and keep it in my handbag, but it is only for emergencies.  It does give me peace of mind when I'm driving.  But I don't like talking on cell phones, and I don't want to be tied down to one walking around with it carrying on a conversation! 

Respected Contributor

I have a smart phone that I rarely use, and a VoIP, which I don't consider a landline. I have it bundled with my internet service, and today I got an offer too good to refuse from Ooma--Amazon's deal of the day, the Ooma Telos at $63.35 instead of the $90 A usually charges or $99 from Ooma directly. I've already talked to my cable company about porting my number (no fee) and checked Ooma to confirm that it can be ported. I'll cut my cable bill, which is about to increase yet again, $35 a month, or nearly $400 a year.

Fortunately, I don't live in a coastal region or a place likely to be hit by natural disasters on a regular basis, so I feel I can afford the risk of being without service if it's knocked out. I usually drive over to the electric company if the power is out and I can't reach them, and someone there tells me what's happening. One of the benefits of living in Dinkytown. 

If you've been thinking about to VoIP or, like me, have an overpriced VoIP service through the cable company, you might consider jumping on this offer from Amazon.

Esteemed Contributor

I no longer live in CA but when I did, one time there was a major multi-state outage and I was surprised to see a neighbor talking on a phone in his garage.  He had a corded phone, we didn't, therefore he could communicate and I couldn't.  Btw, that same town had a massive outage yesterday: no ATT, no Verizon, no Frontier, no 911 system.  That was because a transformer someplace blew.  Since emergencies happen anywhere and are not always weather related, best to always be prepared.

Respected Contributor

My landline is part of my cable bundle. I rarely use it but it's not a bad idea to have one for when there are power outages. I'm a little bit sentimental anyway. I've had that phone number for ages.

Respected Contributor

When I'm at home, I use my landline. My cell phone stays in my purse; I don't even hear it ringing half the time.

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

When I'm at home, I use my landline. My cell phone stays in my purse; I don't even hear it ringing half the time.

Same here.  It's in my purse all of the time except when being charged.  It's for emergencies only.  I see people walking around with their cell phones wherever they go...not that serious for me.  A lot of lost or misplaced I'll bet, too.

I'm surprised that number is so low.  I'll always have a land phone.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Trusted Contributor

We do not have a landline and I do not miss it at all.  However, if I had young children, I think I would get one so they could be taught to call 911 in an emergency and would always know where the phone is.