Respected Contributor

Re: When someone over 65 dies

I realize no one  is obligated to say the cause of death in an obituary.  If they don't list the cause of death as the virus when it is the virus it skews the number of deaths in the county by the virus which right now is still zero.  Today in a neighboring county they upped the death count to the PA health department by 11 deaths from one nursing home.  I don't know if all the nursing homes in PA are under lockdown with no vistors but in this county they are.

Respected Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

Maybe we should be leaving the cause of death to the professionals who are trained in such things instead of going with beliefs or feelings.

What does this have anything to do with beliefs or feelings.

Nursing homes are a business and it is not good business to have residents die of COVID-19.   

It has nothing to do with the business of running a hospital. People die from many different causes. To some, it sounds better to some to have the death toll seem less than it really is. Again, since we don't do adequate testing, our numbers are artificially lower automatically.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

I live in the south and the obits. rarely mention the cause of death. What is listed in the obit. is not necessarily what is on the death certificate. No one is required to list a cause of death in the obit. And why is this a concern for those over 65? 

Honored Contributor

We haven't had obits either.  Weird.i live in a smaller town.  I do know there  is a cause of death on every death certificate. During these times anyone who passes away is given a covid-19 test.  I worked in a museum and death certificates are one of our most treasured resources we have.   Somehow we attained a large catch of death certificates for our town.  Before 1906 here in California you didn't have to report deaths right away.  When you got to the county seat which then was 5 hours by carriage , the family reported it.  Cause of death was often heart failure.  A doctor sometimes officiated, or was notified. People were often buried on their own land, in the back forty.

.  After 1906 death certificates were changed and mandated by the county.  Also, those buried on family land not a legal cemetery , were moved.    In our county a doctor had to check a dead person and fill out a certificate right away.   However, even then if they diesd at home the doctor would get there and take reports from family.  That's where it got a little dicey as far as genealogy goes.  During the 1917-18 Spanish flu   Cause of death was usually, Influenza  with heart failure.   Now a days if a person dies at home their body is not to be moved until coroner comes and takes body.   Dying at home is different than dying in a hospital   Even if a loved one is in hospice the nurse or you would call number, coroner comes, removes body and I heard that a covid 19 test would be given post Mortimer at coroners.  The body's are dealt with differently   Right now every body is concidered to have it until test comes back negative.  Even if they were dying of cancer, altheimers, heart disease, diabetes etc,  covid would be listed on death certificates as a complication

Trusted Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

We haven't had obits either.  Weird.i live in a smaller town.  I do know there  is a cause of death on every death certificate. During these times anyone who passes away is given a covid-19 test.  I worked in a museum and death certificates are one of our most treasured resources we have.   Somehow we attained a large catch of death certificates for our town.  Before 1906 here in California you didn't have to report deaths right away.  When you got to the county seat which then was 5 hours by carriage , the family reported it.  Cause of death was often heart failure.  A doctor sometimes officiated, or was notified. People were often buried on their own land, in the back forty.

.  After 1906 death certificates were changed and mandated by the county.  Also, those buried on family land not a legal cemetery , were moved.    In our county a doctor had to check a dead person and fill out a certificate right away.   However, even then if they diesd at home the doctor would get there and take reports from family.  That's where it got a little dicey as far as genealogy goes.  During the 1917-18 Spanish flu   Cause of death was usually, Influenza  with heart failure.   Now a days if a person dies at home their body is not to be moved until coroner comes and takes body.   Dying at home is different than dying in a hospital   Even if a loved one is in hospice the nurse or you would call number, coroner comes, removes body and I heard that a covid 19 test would be given post Mortimer at coroners.  The body's are dealt with differently   Right now every body is concidered to have it until test comes back negative.  Even if they were dying of cancer, altheimers, heart disease, diabetes etc,  covid would be listed on death certificates as a complication

Per the CDC, whether you've been tested or not, COVID will likely be listed as the cause of death.  This was admitted the other day during a daily briefing.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

I really don't see many obituaries anymore. Usually see maybe a viewing or funeral time. But the stories of the deceased, not that often.