Respected Contributor

Anyone have friends/family not complying with restrictions?

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. I have a fairly large family of close friends that are carrying on life like nothing is wrong. They have had a birthday party and are having Easter dinner. I feel frustrated and am not sure anything I would say directly would have any effect. Anyone else run into this, and if so, how do you react to it?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone have friends/family not complying with restrictions?

@wakefield64 wrote:

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. I have a fairly large family of close friends that are carrying on life like nothing is wrong. They have had a birthday party and are having Easter dinner. I feel frustrated and am not sure anything I would say directly would have any effect. Anyone else run into this, and if so, how do you react to it?

You can only control how you choose to live.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

My family and I are complying with all restrictions.  We have postponed a birthday celebration and our family Easter Dinner to a later, and safer date.  It makes us a bit sad but we love each other and want to keep ourselves healthy and safe. 

None of my friends, that I know of, are violating the restrictions.  But my next door neighbors are a different story.  I just shake my head and pray that the one family member that would be at very high risk of infection stays safe!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

@wakefield64  Most are.  However,  my sister who wears gloves etc. to the grocery store, has prescriptions delivered, went to visit her daughter's family a few miles away.  Now mind you, my sis was in the hospital for 5 or 6 days only 2 months ago.  She is still recuperating.  Let's just say I bluntly asked  WTH was wrong with her. She's the only sibling I have.

My late DH's one brother drove to his daughter's 2 states away.  He's in his ealy 70's and has a bunch of minor health issues.

Everyone else is behaving themselves. It drives me crazy.

Honored Contributor

No, many of us are of advanced age and immunosuppressed.  Our lives depend on staying at home.  Even the younger family members are worried about contracting the COVID virus.

Honored Contributor

@wakefield64 wrote:

I certainly wouldn't participate but being outspoken, I'd have to express my opinion if the lack of wisdom in conducting such activities, especially if seniors will be attending.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Yep.  Although they are going from one quarantined house to another but I get the point. They are still out to grocery stores every once in awhile so it's not 100%.  

Actually today they finally got a reality check.  One has a husband who is now on the front lines so they are doing the right thing now and staying completely in.  And my mother cancelled her trip up for family birthdays this week.  

What worked for my mother is that another family member said the same thing I had said which is if you come and the worst happens, I would never forgive myself.  Apparently coming from a second person drove the point home.  

Guilt trip when possible.  Worked for us.  

Esteemed Contributor

As others have already posted.

You can only control your actions,

You can stay home

You can express your concern, fears and love for everyone.

Honored Contributor

No, both sides of our family are complying with the stay at home order.   My brothers and I still go in to check on mom; one brother and SIL still eat dinner with mom on Sundays.   

All of our friends are also staying home.   

Respected Contributor

My SIL and her husband (both over 65) are visiting back & forth with their daughters & grandkids (they all live within 5 miles of each other). Sharing meals, etc. 

Our much-younger-than-us next door neighbors had a cookout with friends yesterday. He has already told my DH that he would be going to work even if he got sick!