Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have friends/family not complying with restrictions?

No - we are all complying.  We want this over with as soon as possible so we do our part.  Every day.

People who think it is ok to visit family or friends (and those who run more errands than absolutely necessary out of boredom) are just not thinking (or don't care) not only of the risk to themselves - but the risk to the health care workers who may need to care for them.  I think most people are being pretty selfless right now; some are continuing to be selfish - and this stay-at-home is showing exactly what we are each made of.  JMO.

Respected Contributor

No.  All family in compliance.  Why risk anyone's health?  If you aren't tested routinely (which is not being done) how would one really know if they have the virus.  

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@wakefield64 wrote:

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. I have a fairly large family of close friends that are carrying on life like nothing is wrong. They have had a birthday party and are having Easter dinner. I feel frustrated and am not sure anything I would say directly would have any effect. Anyone else run into this, and if so, how do you react to it?

I certainly wouldn't participate but being outspoken, I'd have to express my opinion if the lack of wisdom in conducting such activities, especially if seniors will be attending.

Yes, this is what really frustrates me. In this family is a 75 year old grandmother. I have said some things like “shouldn’t you be doing this etc” but they pay no attention. 

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

No.  All family in compliance.  Why risk anyone's health?  If you aren't tested routinely (which is not being done) how would one really know if they have the virus.  

This is what worries my nieces and nephew in their 20's and 30's.

Honored Contributor

If a family lives with each other there is not much you can do aside from quarantining if you get the virus and like others who are first responders have chosen to move out until it subsides.

It is scary because even if you are "complying, if one person in the family goes out to the store or pharmacy or goes out for work,

they potentially bring something back.

So unless everyone in the household never leaves the house, it seems impossible to "comply" 100%.That is what makes it so scary, that we can do all we can, and who knows where we may pick it up.

That is just the reality of this awful virus.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

My family members are working, I'm out everyday volunteering & we decided together it's best stay apart....other families can decide what's best for them.

Esteemed Contributor

At this point only the self-centered knuckleheads are not complying. 

They were the same self- centered knuckleheads before the pandemic, just might be more obvious now that restrictions have been placed on us all- for good reason.

Fortunate that I don't live near to anyone like this nor am I related to anyone who fits the description.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@wakefield64 wrote:

I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. I have a fairly large family of close friends that are carrying on life like nothing is wrong. They have had a birthday party and are having Easter dinner. I feel frustrated and am not sure anything I would say directly would have any effect. Anyone else run into this, and if so, how do you react to it?

You can only control how you choose to live.

The problem is that other people are controlling how you don't choose to die, and that's the point.

Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

My SIL and her husband (both over 65) are visiting back & forth with their daughters & grandkids (they all live within 5 miles of each other). Sharing meals, etc. 

Our much-younger-than-us next door neighbors had a cookout with friends yesterday. He has already told my DH that he would be going to work even if he got sick!

What a selfish *%$@^#&*, @vermint 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

No thank goodness!  Our neighbors still let their kids play with the kids across the street outdoors but they are the only ones that I'm personally aware of who are not keeping their distance.

Right now I would have been in Florida visiting my 93 year old mother but I told her the visit would have to be postponed.  We also didn't celebrate DH's birthday a few weeks ago with the kids and will do so whenever we can.  Our kids both live in Philly so we've been Zooming with them on the weekends....fortunately they both still have their jobs and can work from home.

We only go out to the supermarket and I haven't been in two weeks.  The delivery services are backed up so I will probably venture out sometime this week with my face mask & hand sanitizer.